TCCoA Forums banner

61 - 80 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If I remember whent he swap-time comes allong, I'll weigh them. I dont have a scale at the momenet.
Consider, though the calipers may be lighter, ther rotors will be heavier. That's an extra 40 cubic inches of steel rotor.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
If I remember whent he swap-time comes allong, I'll weigh them. I dont have a scale at the momenet.
Consider, though the calipers may be lighter, ther rotors will be heavier. That's an extra 40 cubic inches of steel rotor.
Only if we're talking about the Cobra rotors here. Going with the GT PBR setup definitely sheds a bit of weight, as you keep the stock rotor diameter.

-Rod

·
Registered
974 Posts
Took a bit of weight out of the car today... Went ahead and did some winter cleaning in my trunk... The only thing i had to weigh was my bathroom scale which isn't all that accurate i'm sure, especially for weighing things oddball shaped that don't quite fit on the scale well.... anyways...

Alpine Type S 12 + Ported Box = 58 lbs
Steel Spare Tire = 31 lbs
E Jack + Misc. Tire Changing Tools = 11 lbs
Cardboard piece of crap covering the spare tire = 4 lbs

Thinking about taking out the entire trunk interior trim next, especially since i have holes cut in mine for my shock tower bar. Back seat and rear seat belts may come out as well, less weight and an excuse to not give those certain people a ride...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't know if you thought of this or not but to weigh things that don't exactly fit on a scale I do this; I weigh myself, I weigh myself while holding the item, and then I subtract my weight from preivous reading. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I thought about that as well. I just decided to throw the things i needed to weigh on the scale and go from there. Some things such as the sub box would be hard to weigh while holding because the box would block my view of the gauge. Thanks for the advice though, i'm sure it will be helpful to other members.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Updated the Brakes section. And i seen that fanblades weigh about 17.5 lbs each, any confirmation on this. Ans what about sport/SC rims. Anyone got the weights on those?

C.Hill

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree we need to find out the weight of the SC/Sport rims I have a full set on my V8. I also have a set of early SC rims. I'll check and see what they weigh when I can.

·
Registered
566 Posts
16" 89-93 SC wheels are 21 lbs

Joe

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
16" 89-93 SC wheels are 21 lbs

Joe
I know they look similar but are these the same as '96/97 Sport rims as far as weight?

C.Hill

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not sure what the weight is on those. The 94-95 SC wheels are the same as the 96/97 sport wheels. The 89-93 wheels are different.

Joe

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Great topic!

dont forget, theres an extra 0.000000000001 lb weight advantage of the 93-95sc wheels over the 96/7 ones because of the notch for center cap removal :D
But.....I threw those center caps off cause it looks a lot sportier. Was missing 1 of 4 anyway so I took the other three off and was pleased with the look.
Haven't gotten an Indecent Exposure ticket yet either because of my nuts showing! :D

Seriously though, has anyone put a fairly stock MN12 (steel body, no fiberglass) on those 4 wheel scales that racer shops have? What were those results?

I'd love to pair my 'bird down as much as I could; tons of kickass ideas here already. But realistically I'd have to save those kind of plans for a second 'bird. The one I have has to stay in Daily Driver status.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
just an update, the car originally weighed 3,940 lbs.
Current weight with me out of it, 2,960 lbs.

Still have more to come off.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Updated, new engine part weights.

C.Hill

·
Registered
2 Posts
just an update, the car originally weighed 3,940 lbs.
Current weight with me out of it, 2,960 lbs.

Still have more to come off.
Wow, you lost 980lbs in a year or so! I have a friend who is 6'4" and 450, I'll have him join the thread. Seems like your diet plan works wonders. Might save him $30K over lap band surgery.

(/smart aleck remark)

He could probably use some tips on lightening his '79 Thunderbird as well.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I'm hopefully going to drop a little over 100 more lbs.
It adds up on paper...
switch out the C6 for a C4....should be right around 100 lbs lighter, and switching to a fuel cell, should knock off another 20 lbs.
And, maybe an aluminum DS....which I think I'm going to need another anyway, cause I had to cut down my original one to fit for the C6.

61 - 80 of 142 Posts