TCCoA Forums banner

81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey great thread awsome info i wanna put my bird on a diet but how far can i go and still bear to drive on street/hiway on that note what about the sound deadner does taking this out make it horrible to drive

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
3500??

Hello

Well my car weights about 3500lbs

That is with a 351W & AOD. oh yeah a full interior roll cage + 2X3 frame added.
fuel cell, added rear weight. No wiring for lights, No lights, No glass, Lexan windshield or even door guts, cut half the front bumper off, gutted most of the inner hood.
PBR's on the way. No seats, except Aluminum racing drivers seat.

I need to shed about 75lb from the front. looking at the inner fenders but worried
about structural stiffness. Just cut some vents behind front fenders, inner Wheel wel.

Note: PBR's came today!:D But must be fitted before I can use them.:mad:

Paul

·
Registered
836 Posts
the ac stuff ie compressor, condenser, lines etc was around 30 pounds...
pbr and cobra calipers weigh almost exactly the same. Only difference is in the rotors.

i need ideas to lose weight....its NOT a street car. the following i have removed so far.

hood latch
hood latch mounting bracket
wiper fluid resevoir
abs sensors on wheels. no further than that.
trac loc sensors on diff all the way to drivers foot area
alum driveshaft
alum block
back seats /seat belts
door panels
front speakers
all ac stuff
passenger seat/ seatbelt
rear panels on the inside
racing seat

some ideas i have are
front crash guard? anyone have pics?
alum lower control arms (waiting on perches)
alum diff (need to install)
trace the rest of the abs sensors/wires and remove
trace the rest of trac loc wires and remove
fuel cell in trunk? anyone have pics of the firewall that is required if you do this?
race battery
remove front swaybar? (will it drive ok around corners since i have lowering springs the 5 miles to the track?
remove air bags?
lighter steering wheel?
Im open to any suggestions people have.

i would love to lose some more weight so when i put a 6 point cage in it kinda compensates. that and its the poor mans horsepower.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The steering wheel isn't heavy but the airbags are. I would take out the window motors if its just a track car

Joe

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
you want to ditch just the abs sensors? the effort of taking them off is not worth the weight lost(which is pretty much nothing) if you want to lose weight from abs ditch abs all together.

same with the front swaybar, thats a huge job taking it off and putting it back on just to go down a track for a few seconds.

i think 392bird has pics of his rear firewall on his members page somewhere.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
But.....I threw those center caps off cause it looks a lot sportier. Was missing 1 of 4 anyway so I took the other three off and was pleased with the look.
Haven't gotten an Indecent Exposure ticket yet either because of my nuts showing! :D

Seriously though, has anyone put a fairly stock MN12 (steel body, no fiberglass) on those 4 wheel scales that racer shops have? What were those results?

I'd love to pair my 'bird down as much as I could; tons of kickass ideas here already. But realistically I'd have to save those kind of plans for a second 'bird. The one I have has to stay in Daily Driver status.
Your best choices to drop weight and retain all the DD comforts is the switch from iron/steel to all aluminum parts. These are the aluminum parts that will eventually be on my car Pumpkin/LCAs/Driveshaft/aluminum engine block with plastic intake its about 150 lbs in weight credit to stock. The goal to keep the car at a stock weight or less. Weight added includes a few braces, heavy duty spare tire cover, stereo system with relatively 2 small amps and subs, heavier sway bars. This is my DD and the latest weight to be added is a pair of SC seats. LOL This might sound like I'm going backwards to most people here but it should be about stock weight in the end. I'm not going to race anytime soon but if I go to the track it would be cool to bump the subs on the track during staging and waiting. Run whatcha brung type of idea. Whats the point in taking out something you drive around with all the time just to show a slightly lower ET?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Seriously though, has anyone put a fairly stock MN12 (steel body, no fiberglass) on those 4 wheel scales that racer shops have? What were those results?
I put mine on a truck scale and it weighed 3460 lbs without me in it. That was without the back seat and about 1/4 tank of gas. The only other weight reduction was the explorer engine with the AL block and plastic intake. So I'm only a little bit heavier than an automatic mustang.

-Rob

·
Registered
836 Posts
thanks for the picture racecougar. guess i need to look up how thick it needs to be in the nhra rule book. is that one alum or steel?

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
NHRA requires a minimum thickness of .024" if using steel or .032" if using aluminum. I used .040" aluminum. Don't forget to do the package shelf as well.

·
Registered
836 Posts
can i do on top of the package shelf or does it have to be down bottom? i appreciate the quick response..saves me some trouble looking it up.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
You can go over the top of the existing package shelf. The main thing is that you're sealing the trunk off from the drivers compartment.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i think the heater core and all heater parts is around 32-35. the dash total has been debated many times. i would estimate a minimum of fifty pounds if you truly want to pull every unnessesary wire and bracket and .......

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
i'd say an assembled dash with the frame, sound deadening, harnesses, passenger airbag and misc. modules it is probably around 80 lbs. the earlier dash's seem to be a bit more, at least thats what my "arm scales"" seem to tell me lol

·
Thread Killer
807 Posts
I put mine on a truck scale and it weighed 3460 lbs without me in it. That was without the back seat and about 1/4 tank of gas. The only other weight reduction was the explorer engine with the AL block and plastic intake. So I'm only a little bit heavier than an automatic mustang.

-Rob
I also put mine on a truck scale and it was 3820. Thats with a full tank of gas, no driver, 2 amps in the trunk(no sub box yet), Mark DOHC-lower rear control arms-diff and aluminum drive shaft. It also has 18" Speedstars(wich are a bit heavier than the stock 16 inchers. So is my car just heavy like me?:tongue:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I put mine on a truck scale and it weighed 3460 lbs without me in it. That was without the back seat and about 1/4 tank of gas. The only other weight reduction was the explorer engine with the AL block and plastic intake.
Ok, thanks! Nice to have a general idea for some kind of baseline to compare against....mine has no added stereo/sub/amp equipment, stock block and intake, fan blade rims, no MKVIII parts, power seats..both drivers and passenger side, etc.
Based on your own given weight and description, should I guess I'm sitting at 3,500-3,600 with said 1/4 tank of gas?

81 - 100 of 142 Posts