TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at around 100 when its trying to shift into over drive i get a slipping feeling almost. it sounds almost like the TC is whinding really really high if that can even be heard. fluid level is good. fluid is a good color, no shutter. i have no ideas. any clue? almost the same thing that happens when the speed limiter kicks in, only it makes a funny really high whind noise like i said. it was just rebuilt at the beginning of april by a respectable shop here. could it be the tune?

·
Registered
620 Posts
any gear change?
any torque converter change?
how does od function at lower speeds

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Could be a car that can't handle running that fast, most likely the overdrive band is cooked, however shifting into overdrive under load will never work. The slipping will change when the stub shaft breaks. Easy fix don't shift into overdrive while on the throttle trying to accelerate.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
What Alan said. NEVER try to do a 3-4 while you're on the gas because as he said, the stub shaft will break. Leave O/D lockout on, then if you decide you need to shift into OD once you're up near your RPM limit let off the gas, turn off the lockout, let it shift, then keep going.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright i will do that. thanks for the help guys. btw it shifts fine when just cruising. OD works fine. just really threw me when it did this. it used to run fine all the way into 120 before getting it rebuilt. its not like i beat on it. just the occasional opening her up. but thanks for the help ill let you know.
and no, no gear change or TC change of any kind

·
Registered
620 Posts
yea they can handle 700hp but not in stock trim....i believe the stock converter will ballon around 5500rpm...someone else can chime in and say
mike

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
don't see this prob on a Stock MK8 Motor w/upgraded Tranny & DD TC - I don't do any silly OD switch BS - & mind you running I'm running faster WFO than a stock T Bird - IMO it'll lock up & or DIE ~!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
don't see this prob on a Stock MK - I don't do any silly OD switch BS with my DD TC - & mind you running I'm running faster WFO than any freaking stock T Bird - IMO it'll lock up & or DIE ~!
LOL, you go brother!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Must be nice haha.
however what Alan said was in fact the problem. keeping it out of od solved the issue. thanks again guys for putting what I thought was going to be an issue to rest. can sleep a little better now ha.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
it used to run fine all the way into 120 before getting it rebuilt.
Mine runs fine thru 133 AFTER rebuild SO>>> based on your Quote above I say nothings fixed... it's FAR more likely upon scrutiny that your chosen Shop may lose some "respectability" :

Wrong OD Servo return Spring for you HP (per Jerry's Epistle) ? - UNupgraded smaller Diameter OD Servo ? - Did your guy use the improved O- Ringed Sonnax OD Servo Pin ? - Did he opt for the firmer engagement via the Sonnax Washer ? (I did'nt as I retained the old weaker Stub Shaft) - Main VB sub-assembly OD Servo Regulator has Brown / Orange Spring ? ... JMOD install error or VB install Torquing Error ? ... & maybe now a wounded OD Band.

http://www.sonnax.com/index.php

1 - 10 of 10 Posts