TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much slop does everyone have in their auto tranny shift lever?

I can move mine about 1/4 - 1/2 inch at the top and it just feels worn out.

My 97 Mark is tight as a drum with no slop what so ever.

I'm assuming I have some bushings wearing out since it’s getting progressively worse. I manually shift a lot, so that isn’t helping. :D

Am I looking at new bushing, or a whole new assembly? :eek:

·
Registered
286 Posts
There should be a bracket that connects the shift lever shaft on the steering column to the shift cable. This tends to get loose - it has one attaching bolt that runs up into the shift lever shaft. This info is from the Panther platform. Mine worked loose at about 100k.

I've read about the bushings for this shaft wearing or failing in the column, but the bracket is the easiest thing to get to.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MN-12's have the shift lever on the console, so I'm not sure what you're refering to. :confused:

What is the Panther platform? TC's, CV's and GMq's?

Thanks for the reply. :thumbsup:

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Mine moves like 2 inches side to side. I took it apart and it looks like the metal shaft passes thru a plate which it was tack-welded on to. I guess to fix it we have to pull the shifter out of the car and redo the failed weld.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a lot of play in mine, found out I lost a bolt for the linkage bracket on the transmission.

The exhaust is in the way, so I'm waiting till the next time I have to pull it down to replace the bolt.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My shifter was tight before I removed the tranny. Now when you put it in drive, it doesn't quite hit the notch. If if push or pull it one way or another, it locks in place where it should. Sounds to me like my shifter cable bracket isn't quite in the exact same place that it was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts