TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car seems to experience very slow warm up, the heater blows warm pretty quickly and gets hot in what I would think is normal time compared to other cars I have, but the temp needle is very slow to move to the middle of the guage. I was thinking a bad thermostat but since the heater is getting warm and hot just as fast as any other vehicle I own. It doesn't overheat either, I left her idleing for a while on a nice warm day, the needle didn't move above just below the halfway point. So I'm wondering if it is the thermostat or if its just a slow sensor?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
Mine is a bit slow as well, But it gets to the half way point after a while, And know problems :)

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
The mechanical clutch fan equipped MN12's do tend to take a while longer to reach operating temp than the electric fan equipped MN12's. It's really noticeable if you're running a 180 T-stat in the winter with a mechanical clutch fan (takes forever to warm up).

-Rod

·
Registered
186 Posts
i am kind of confused.

wouldn't the gauge show operating temperature at the same time the heater is blowing hot air? By hot I mean the hottest it's going to get.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hey, look who it is!

Broke down and bought a "new" car while working on the 442?

The temp sensors on these cars are useless. Once it shows hot, the headgaskets are done, and its to late. Gauge really doesn't move until the car is up to operating temp. The gauge has a limited range.

If its a big concern, add an aftermarket gauge.

Now isn't aircooled better? Haha

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha, yea I needed something to drive around while my cars apart, I still need to finish the bike too, to many projects to little time. Thats what I figured, I'm just keeping my on it, I just got done a 2 hour drive at 75-80 with zero issues

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yea, they are nice cars. Cheap to maintain, buy, and lots of room....I even tow my boats, sleds, and bikes with it!

Feel free to drop me a line if you need any help with the 'bird.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts