TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the parting out of my '89 XR7 which is a sad thing for me to do, But it is what i wanted to do with it when i first got the car to have spares for my '91 XR7.

Also Now the '96 XR7 is gone for in favor for a new(er) car. Soon after buying the car in 2005 i started complaining about wanting to get rid of it and i have now finally did :)

Even with all my complaints about it (even the awful gas milage it got, my '91 XR7 being beaten on, and doing back road twisted only in 3rd gear (5spd manual here) got better mileage then granny driving my '96) I will miss it in some ways.

So I only have two more to go. my '91 SC and my '91 XR7 (The later i may be buried in thou)

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
You only need to own one of these cars to enjoy them. Focusing your efforts on keeping one tip top is always more rewarding than having a fleet of clunkers.

Plus the 91 XR7 is the coolest of all the Factory MN12s :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You only need to own one of these cars to enjoy them. Focusing your efforts on keeping one tip top is always more rewarding than having a fleet of clunkers.

Plus the 91 XR7 is the coolest of all the Factory MN12s :)
Well none really are clunkers, other then maybe the '96 :tongue:

The '89 Was a VERY clean car for it's age, interior i would of given a 9.5/10 (for the age) and ran and drove so nice.. but tried selling it, got to like $800 for it, and said screw it i could use the parts off it more

the '91 SC is in decent shape too, other then being hard to start when Hot and the Aftermarket sunroof needing some TLC (doesn't leak just needs adjusting) and the headliner needing to be replaced.

the '91 XR7 well as you said. it's a 1991 XR7 :D Needs the most TLC but to me it's worth the effort for me. that and it's the only car the wife hasn't had a ride in yet (been together for 5+ years now!) and wants me to get it back on the road

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
I detect a little biased-ness.....:eek:

-The Great
Why's that? I don't have a 91, nor is mine an XR7 in the same vein as the 89-92 packages. 93-97s are basically Cougar LS's with the XR7 badge and slightly nicer standard seats.

I've always thought the 91 XR7 was the coolest MN12, before I bought my 94. The monochromatic paint, tapered side moldings(which the Thunderbird stole in 92) laser stripe taillights, chrome delete side window trim, 7 spoke wheels, fog lights, full SC interior(seats, handbrake, ect.) with that cool grid patterned trim, ARC and standard 5.0 were just way cool. It's the only way you could ever get the full SC package without the SC 3.8, which made it truly unique Mercury specific package, just like the way it should be.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Why's that? I don't have a 91, nor is mine an XR7 in the same vein as the 89-92 packages. 93-97s are basically Cougar LS's with the XR7 badge and slightly nicer standard seats.

I've always thought the 91 XR7 was the coolest MN12, before I bought my 94. The monochromatic paint, tapered side moldings(which the Thunderbird stole in 92) laser stripe taillights, chrome delete side window trim, 7 spoke wheels, fog lights, full SC interior(seats, handbrake, ect.) with that cool grid patterned trim, ARC and standard 5.0 were just way cool. It's the only way you could ever get the full SC package without the SC 3.8, which made it truly unique Mercury specific package, just like the way it should be.
I dont know what you're talking about; my 97 XR-7 kicks butt!

·
Super Moderator
9,168 Posts
Well when you explain yourself like that, it makes me want one! :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
No kidding, I never knew the half of it to be like that, I went from a 95 Cougar XR-7 4.6 to a 93 Cougar XR-7 5.0 and was just happy I got the last of the line with the 5.0 and with all the options though I hated the retracting seat belts those things were the stupidest idea ever.

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
FWIW the 93 isn't anything special other than yours having the 5.0 option. 93 XR7s were basically just 92 Cougar LSs with 92 XR7 seats. All the SC related stuff and unique XR7 features were gone. Same thing happened with the Sport Thunderbird that year -- All Thunderbirds (exc SC) were now LXs.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After '92 I didn't consider XR7 to mean anything at all. Just like "limited edition" cars.

But having the last 5.0l isn't all that bad thou, I'm still, and may forever be, a believer that the '91 xr7 was the best of all cougars made from '89-97 I amit I didn't own a 3.8v6 car (was looking for one in all honestly then I came about my '91 xr7 for CHEAPER! ) nor did I own a '94/5, I even joked that I need to buy a '94/5 with a v6 to complete my body and engine choice collection :)

Maybe my '96 xr7 was a Friday build POS but it couldn't hold anything to my '91 for the fun/enjoyment factor, the only other car that came close is the '89 xr7, and gee wonder why. And I'm comparing stock for stock here, yes my '91 is mildly modded for more fun but engine is a bone stock 360,000 km 302 these days but I drove stock for over 100,000kms

Even stock with a blown AOD and two amps, and a sub box in the trunk it turned a 15.9 in the quarter :) but that was late evening at pretty much sea level, with an extreme quater mile amateur driving (like second or third pass in my life?)

Only thing I think ford should of done with the '91 xr7 (and maybe the 5.0l sports?) is offered an 5 speed manual!!! I know most 4.6l guys wish the same, but with mushy rides, an soft sofa like seats, those cars are cruisers :). (remember again I owned a '96 xr7 with a 4.6l, and drove many others)

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Amazingly, I rather stumbled into my 91 XR7 (police auction on eBay, was looking for four wheels with a motor - RWD preferred, but not required.)

I think it was meant to be, truthfully.

RwP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts