TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like everyone talks about swapping engines for a larger engine. No one talks about swapping for a smaller engine. I am happy with my 4.6, but I wouldn't mind a nice supercharged v6, or if it would work in a mn12 without being too slow, a turbocharged four-banger from a fox. You would get better gas-mileage, and lose not too much power.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The main reseaon why is that the potential for an 8 is a little bit more then a 6 at this time. Yes it could be done but people will say that if you want a super charged engine why not Super charge an 8..

As the saying goes there is no replacement for displacement

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
going to a smaller engine would be folly. these car weigh in at 2 tons. you need torque to get around. A smaller engine would be able to do it, but it wouldn't be as reliable as it would be prone to overheating and greater stress.

Better gas mileage? Alot of people are getting upwards of 30mpg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Indeed, when a 4.6 is properly cared for, it can get GREAT gas mileage.

I just replaced the rotten PCV system/vacuum lines on my '95 after finally pinpointing the culprit in a gradual degradation of fuel economy and smoothness and am getting over 25 mpg again. On longer highway trips I have previously gotten around 30 mpg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I was just curious about this subject.

·
Registered
926 Posts
GreenBird said:
going to a smaller engine would be folly. these car weigh in at 2 tons. you need torque to get around. A smaller engine would be able to do it, but it wouldn't be as reliable as it would be prone to overheating and greater stress.

Better gas mileage? Alot of people are getting upwards of 30mpg.
Plus v8's can get better gas milage than a 4 cyl depending on the car. POWER to Weight. It takes more power and stress to get a 4 banger to move 2 tons than a V8. Like GB said torq is also a factor with 4 cyl, like the S2000 for ex has 260HP but like 150lb of torq, off the line it sucks but it doesnt make top power untill 7000 rpms, kinda insane.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts