TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I did a search and didn't bring up any results so I hope it wasn't asked... I have a 93 Bird with the 15" Fan type rims. I bought a 96 Bird a few months ago. The 96 has 16" rims. My 93 has brand tires with 500 miles on them. Question is, will the 15s fit over my brakes on my 96? I could just try it, but my 93 is currently surrounded by mud. Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
9,318 Posts
If the 96 has the sport suspension, then you can't go smaller than 16" wheels without switching the front calipers and rotors to the 15" style. Look at the driver's door jamb sticker for the spring code, "JJJJ" or "JJEE" will indicate the sport package.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
While it is possible your 96 has the larger brakes, it is possible it doesn't. Even if it is a Sport not all 96s got the larger brakes.

There are a number of ways to tell which caliper/rotors you have.

1 - look on the caliper bracket, on the part that crosses over the rotor. If it has "16" cast into it, then you need to have 16 inch wheels.
2 - if the caliper mounts to the caliper bracket/slides with the same bolts for both mounting points, then you need to have the 16 inch wheels. (if the top one is a bolt, and the bottom one is an internal hex, and you only need to remove the top bolt and pivot the caliper on the bottom one, then you have the standard brakes and can use 15 inch wheels)
3 - if the brake pads have a locator spring on top of them (thin spring with coiled ends) then you need the 16 inch wheels
4 - if you attempt to put on the 15 inch wheels and they hit the caliper, you need the 16 inch wheels :)

sport caliper brake pads:

standard caliper brake pads:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts