TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever the car is sitting idling I have a strong gas smell inside the car. I checked the injectors and they do not appear to be leaking anywhere. Any ideas on anywhere else to look. Checked where the lines connect to the fuel rail, nada. Anyone ran into this anywhere. Also my upshift light dosn't light up when I accelerate and it is time to shift. I changed the bulb and it lights up when the ignition is turned on. Open to other suggestions.

Thanks guys,
John

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Gas

My youngest Son's 95 4.6 LX had a gas smell too.

He dropped the tank and found the edge of a spot weld had worn a hole in the tank.

If you find this is the problem try to epoxy the hole closed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
baturner0

For some reason the shift light only comes on when its almost red line, 5-6 rpm's, in other words, it doesn't work right..:(

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I smelled gas all the time in my 90 s/c could never figure out where it was coming from, then one day as i was going to work (on my first day at my new job) i seen a flame shoot out from my ram air hood. Pulled into a gas station and put it out before it could do any damage.

anyway... this is what i recommend. If you smell fuel you have a fuel leak. Pop the trunk... they have a relay on the driver side behind the carpet.. should be a green/brown relay. Pull that relay out and jump the wires off so the fuel pump runs. Make sure key is out the ignition. Let it sit an hour and then inspect all your fuel lines... If you have a fuel leak you'll be able to find it, if you can't smell it or find it that means your car is running pig rich and needs to be scanned for codes.

My car was leaking fuel underneath the cowl behind the intake where the fuel lines connect to the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Fuel canister purge valve.........

Whenever the car is sitting idling I have a strong gas smell inside the car.
If I can throw in my 2 cents here. There may be a simpler explanation for this gas smell. Like your self I've had the gas smell in both my T-Birds [89 & 95] and in most cases the canister purge valve was the problem. In one case the line between valve and the canister had a crack.

The carbon filled canister collects the fumes from the fuel tank. At RPMs above idle the EEC opens the purge valve and burns off these fumes. When the valve fails the saturated canister starts to vent fuel vapour. In my case I could smell the fuel soon after starting the car.

Valve and canister is located in right front fender area. Check the line between the canister and valve. More likely just change the valve it's not expensive.

Chris................

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the fuel pump relay bypass. I crawled all over the engine no gas smell. I guess that is a good thing. I am going to replace the purge valve. I have noticed guys that I was told these cars should get around 25+ mpg and I am getting a lil over 15, very puzzled. My check engine light is not on though so therer is no codes to pull. Car starts and runs real well. It doesn't have an overwhelming presence of gas fumes at the exhaust that would suggest running rich. Just puzzled. Will change the cannister purge valve.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I smelled gas all the time in my 90 s/c could never figure out where it was coming from, then one day as i was going to work (on my first day at my new job) i seen a flame shoot out from my ram air hood. Pulled into a gas station and put it out before it could do any damage.

Pulling into a gas station when on fire not best idea! BOOM!

Paul

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I know Paul its not, but at the time I knew that if i didn't get somewhere quick that had a fire extinguisher that my car was going to be engulfed in flames. I really love my car and I didn't want it burnt to the ground. Good thing I thought quick and didn't panic. I got the fire out before it even burnt any wires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts