TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the past couple days when starting up my 94 4.6 Cougar when its been sitting I smell antifreeze for a couple seconds right after it turns over. I'm ruling out a headgasket problem because its not leaking antifreeze and it doesn't smell like it all the time, just 2 or 3 seconds after startup. I'm thinking it might be a bad radiator cap, any suggestions?

·
Banned
613 Posts
gotta be a small drip somewhere....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dropped it off at my buddy's place and he checked it out for me, the headgasket is leaking coolant and oil at the rear onto the transmission. He tells me the headgasket will go within the next year or so. So I'm debating on either doing the gaskets or trading it in on a decent truck before it takes a **** on me. What do you guys think I should do?

·
Registered
61 Posts
did you check the hose going into the radiator, mine was leaking alittle took me like a week to find it, just put a little hose clamp on it and no more sweet smell.

edit: forget my post :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The radiator and hoses are all solid, its definitely coming from the passenger side head gasket. it's not gushing or anything but its leaking, my friend tells me I have probably 6 months to a year before it full on blows and I get milkshake action.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Could be leaking a little at the weep hole on the water pump. Mine had a minor leak for as long as I can remember. It's a 93 I bought new. It took 13 years for the weep to finally turn into a water pump replacement. Believe it or not.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah definitely a headgasket, and my radiator has a pinhole leak at the bottom, she's getting traded for a new work truck before she blows up and I'm putting my dodge pickup down for slight freshening up, plans for a rebuilt 318 and some body work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts