• 10w40 or heavier oil

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil two days ago to 5w20 which helped my lash adjuster tick significantly but I left a stop and got a huge cloud of blue smoke at about 4ish yesterday. I thought it was a fluke but after leaving my car to warm up this morning and heading out it clouded me with the same blueish smoke.... it's a 97 so I doubt its injector related, I changed my PCV last night for good measure... should I just switch back to 10w30 or has the damage already been done.... I've never had this problem before. If it is valve stem seals I guess I'll bite the bullet and order my head changing kit and finish my own car's PI top end swap.... but if the problem goes farther than that I don't want to deal with it.....

What should I do...

Switch back to 10w30

Bite the bullet and finish my PI top end swap (order a head changing kit and new valve stem seals, I have everything else)

Pull the motor and do a PI explorer swap

Switch to 10w40 or higher

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i run royal purple

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
royal purps is good shat. Hmmm could this have caused any seals to start leaking? I have my buddy telling me over and over if you run anything other than conventional past about 60000 miles then you run the risk of synthetic cleaning mineral deposits and pulling material away from any seals. Of course I didnt listen and ran fine with my 97GM using mobil 1 for 4 years 68k up to 101k. And currently running mobil 1 in a 88k tbird now at 95k no problems. SO maybe thats not the issue? sorry I couldn't help more.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
royal purps is good shat. Hmmm could this have caused any seals to start leaking? I have my buddy telling me over and over if you run anything other than conventional past about 60000 miles then you run the risk of synthetic cleaning mineral deposits and pulling material away from any seals. Of course I didnt listen and ran fine with my 97GM using mobil 1 for 4 years 68k up to 101k. And currently running mobil 1 in a 88k tbird now at 95k no problems. SO maybe thats not the issue? sorry I couldn't help more.
see the thing was I was running royal purple 10w30 synthetic and switched to valvaline conventional 5w20 because it was free from my work and I was past due on an oil change.... I could seafoam the oil and switch back but damn synthetics are getting expensive.... like $65 for 6 bottles and a filter, I knew it burned about half a quart between changes before but I never ever saw blue smoke come out of my car before....

If I do switch back should I go heavier?

I mean the way I see it is if I switch back and it doesn't work thats $65 down the tube that could have gone to a head changing kit, I can't afford both at the moment, I probably wont be able to swap the heads and change the oil until mid october, so should I just buy 10w40 royal purple, seafoam, and a filter and flush it and fill it and hope for the best?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another note is that if I do change the heads I haven't prepped them yet, they still need to be disassembled, hot tanked, and have their valve stem seals replaced before they go on.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree with splattered, I run mobil 1 5-20 in mine, with no problems, and ive got 200,000 on mine.
I would say at the least to switch to synthetic 5-20, if not heavier

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
IMHO, 5W20 is too thin for Nevada; That's what I would run in a northern state, in the winter.

I use Syntec 5w30 (at 210k+ miles) and have exactly the same problem; I'm sure mine is stem seals, because seal sweller almost cured the problem, and the compression tested fine.

If I lived more south, I would run 10W40. (but not Valvoline, or Quakerstate...)

I've driven with this smoke for almost 50k miles, with no issues except the cats didn't like it. If you have vehicle inspections, I would do the head swap soon.

From what I hear, the 'high mileage' oil helps alot with this.

I almost have one of my buddies talked into doing the new seal install for $100; He has the tools, and knowledge, (and time); I'm going to have to apply more Alcohol to the issue...:D

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
UPDATE!!

I bit the bullet and bought 6 quarts of 10w40 royal purple and a motorcraft filter.... tada stopped smoking...

Also something I realized with valvaline 5w20 conventional my temp gauge went way up to half all of the time instead of 1/4 and my rpms dropped to about 500..... switched back to royal purple synthetic 10w40 this time.... rpms are back to about 800, temperature is back to 1/4.... no smoke.... I'm happy now.

Sometimes you just have to say no to a free oil change :rolleyes:

p.s. I know my car doesn't take 6 quarts.... I always buy one extra incase I need it between oil changes

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mods feel free to delete this thread

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
delete it?? I havent even had a chance to tell you to search or clean your MAF yet!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had always heard that if you switch back to conventional after using synthetic it will ruin the seals.

Glad the switch back fixed it though.

I think I'm gonna start running a straight 30 or 40 down here since I see no reason to have the thinner oil in such a hot place.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thin crappy conventional *shakes fist in vain*

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
also about mid october I'll be doing a motorswap or headswap.... haven't decided yet.... I have both lol

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've always run Motorcraft 5/20 synthetic Blend with a motorcraft filter. Never had any oil related problems. I like the blends. Figure its the best of both worlds. Not terribly expensive, and it has the durability of synthetics.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've always run Motorcraft 5/20 synthetic Blend with a motorcraft filter. Never had any oil related problems. I like the blends. Figure its the best of both worlds. Not terribly expensive, and it has the durability of synthetics.
I hear mixed reviews on blends....

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Ok, was that a statement, or just a bad pun.... "mixed" reviews??? :rofl::uppoint:

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 26 Posts