TCCoA Forums banner

smoke?

529 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BeasTx 
#1 ·
When i'm at a stop light for 3-4 min, i get some smoke out of the tail pipes? car has 63k miles on it.. also, when is 'D' or 'N' it'll make a ****ty rattle noise that drives me crazy ( about 80 % of the time it makes the noise ) ..

any ideas of where i should even start looking? ( have new plugs + wires )

#3 ·
The early 4.6L's had a know "issue" with sub-standard valve stem seals. Some of them were beginning to leak at as low a mileage as 50K. :beek:

The symptom is no smoke driving or at startup, but after idling for a while (like at a stop light, or a fast food joint), a large billowing cloud would roll out upon acceleration (or just revving the engine).

The only “proper” solution is to replace the valve stem seals. However, some of us have had good luck with some of the high mileage oils. I personally use Valvoline MaxLife and it greatly decreased the smoking. But it took 3 oil changes (10K miles to really help). But I also have 269K miles on this engine so I’m sure my experiences are unique. :D

Search the forums for “smoking” or “oil consumption” and you’ll find a lot of information on it. :thumbsup:

As far as the rattling, it's hard to troubleshoot without hearing it in person. But I'd just check the normal culprits like lose brackets, catalytic converter rattle, and such. Or is it more "inside the engine"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.