TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the car a week ago and about 2 days ago it started with a big puff of blueish/grey smoke after I started it when the engine was warm, more smoke clouds when i rev'ed it and it didnt do it all the time, now its getting worse smoking after I start it and it keeps smoking a bit. I checked the oil for traces of coolant and did not see any.

any clues at what im looking at would be great.

94 tbird lx 100k miles
thnx

·
8,239 Posts
the eec could be hanging injectors open, check the injectors with a noid light.

If one is hung open, then replace the eec with a 40 dollar junkyard unit.

JH

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
spoke to a local mechanic (refered by a guy I work with today) on the phone and told him whats up, he said he thinks its a valve seal or seat or something like that..(cell phones suck)

he said the reason it smokes after its been idle for awhile or shut down with hot engine and restarted is because oil will drip through a bad valve seal and get into the piston and build up and when I hit the gas or resart hot it burns the collected oil..

if I rev the engine a few times the smoke goes away......btw

he also mentioned something about that if we fixed it, it might do something and create too much pressure for the piston rings on cars with higher mileage and burn the rings out..and said I might be better off just leaving it like that...

i really dont want to leave this problem alone....i went into walmart today, came out started the car and a couple of people walking behind the car got smoked out, gasping for air (not good), I wanted to hide under the seat....

Is it really that dangerous to fix the seal on older engines like he said? and why doesnt it smoke when I first start it up in the morning at all, i would think it would build alot more oil up overnight and smoke the most on first start..?

also another guy I worked with (not sure if this guy knew what he was talking about either) said I should try putting gas additives in, i guess like fuel injector cleaner and see if it clears it up....

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Valve seals are a common problem on these engines but they just keep on ticking. Go to any major city and nearly every taxi you see will give off some of that blueish smoke.

-Miller

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Maybe you have more than 5 quarts of oil in there? When you overfill your oilpan, the engine will have to much oil. Check that just to make sure.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
As has already been mentioned the 94-95's in particular had leaky valve seals. Won't hurt anything just smoke a little and use some oil. I put 200,000 miles on my origional motor and half of those were with leaky valve seals

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smoking a little doesnt bother me, but like I said, sometimes it lets off a pretty big cloud.....

is there any truth to what the other guy said about using gasoline additives and see if it clears it up?

are they bad to use ?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
A gas additive won't do anything but I have heard some people have had good luck with certain types of oil designed for high mileage engines

·
Registered
573 Posts
bayoubird94 said:
I bought the car a week ago and about 2 days ago it started with a big puff of blueish/grey smoke after I started it when the engine was warm, more smoke clouds when i rev'ed it and it didnt do it all the time, now its getting worse smoking after I start it and it keeps smoking a bit. I checked the oil for traces of coolant and did not see any.

any clues at what im looking at would be great.

94 tbird lx 100k miles
thnx Well, before you take it to the junk yard you gotta ask yourself one question? Do you feel lucky? I would look after the simple things first. You just bought it. People don't sell cars when they're perfect. So now it's yours. It still starts, that's a good thing. And what's a little smoke among friends anyway? I would first say invest $200. You don't know what the previous owner did or did not do. New air filter, clean the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner, spray down the throttle linkege with throtle body cleaner, Replace the PCV valve and the EGR valve, Plugs and wires, that would be nice. If it still smokes right at the time you tip in the throttle from an idle, replace the Idle control valve. Pull off hoses and replace them. Hairline cracks in a vacum hose will leave you scratching your head until your hair falls out. Find out what you bought, you might be surprised. It's probably something that was not maintained by the previous owner. Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts