of you are 30-40 years younger than me. i would like thesoftest ride over
the bumps i can get and i know you cant get the motorcraft standard or
sport stuff anymore. whats the best brand for me? kyb, monroe or
something else. thanks for any help--irv

ps--i even tried the goodyear comfortread tires

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
The standard springs and shocks were the same between 95 and 96, so your 96 may have the sport suspension, which is a much stiffer spring than the standard. Look in your door tag to see if you have spring code JJJJ. If you do, then you would probably be able to find someone local to you who has the standard springs and would be willing to trade, or worst case you can find someone parting out a car and buy the springs from them.

As far as soft riding shocks, the Monroe Sensatracs give a very comfortable ride, but are not much for cornering.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the 96 has standard susp according to the build sheet and invoice.
to early a car to have had the sport option.

shocks code g-fr and rear
springs-frt[cum]
rear[loh]

susp frt-F1SC-5310-G
rearFoSC-5560-G

production date-2-7-96

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,564 Posts
I wouldn't say the Sensa-tracs are soft by any means (they're a lot firmer than the worn out shocks I replaced them with), but I've got nothing to compare them to with regards to new OEM or the other brands. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being as firm as you can imagine, I'd put these somewhere near a 5 or 6; the worn out shocks being somewhere around a 3 (no shocks would be a 1 :)).

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just put sensa-tracs on my 92 and it's a lot firmer than before but before the shocks didn't shock at all. But my 12 year old memory says that it did ride smoother with the factory shocks.

You have to understand that I seldom drove the car when it was the wife's ride. It was quite "floaty" when I took it over. It was also about 2" lower before the new shocks and springs as well. I used the quick struts or whatever they are called from Monroe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts