TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it out http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/The_solution_to_2005-up_Ford_Mustang_S197_Shift_problems.htm

http://www.americanpowertrain.com/pop-Magnum-6speed-kit-S197-Mustang.html

An alternative to the LS1 T56. A little longer, accepts standard T56 bellhousing adapters, uses a ford pilot, has the larger dia. 22-spline input shaft. Still need a spacer as the input shaft for the 4.6/5.0 cammer engines is longer. (good news for the later 4.6 birds). Add in a spacer for the slave cylinder. A speedo conversion box, custom crossmember. Most of the same headaches as with puting an LS1 T56 in a bird.
I gathered a lot of this info from Bruce at Modern Driveline, trying to get more Tech Details.
Bad News......It ain't cheap!
MikeH

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Not a bad solution for the v6 and 5.0 guys but I've never heard of anyone breaking a TR-6060. I personally would prefer the "semi-remote" shifter linkage of a TR-6060 and the 2-piece driveshaft issue isn't an issue when you $$$ up for a custom driveshaft required for our applications.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This trans was designed for the 05+ Stangs with the Getrag trans. It gad the semi-remote shifter. I was talking to a guy at work that still has his hands in building race cars. He says that the Getrag's are blowing left and right with all the torque the new engines are turning out....especially when power adders are involved. He says that guys have been complaining about the shifting getting crappier the higher the output is.

I have put the T56 LS1 in an SC, and the shifter is just forward of the factory 5 speed spot. If the SN197 T56 Mag in a little longer it would be a "better fit" in that respect.
But, it still takes a bunch of work and custom parts to make it work right.
The SN-197 T56, Does have a standard ford size pilot. This means no adapter sleeve for a GM pilot brg. But the shaft is longer to fit the MOD motors, and will need to have a spacer ring and slave spacer if used on a pushrod engine.
Right now the trans is available only as a complete KIT for the 4.6/5.0 MOD motors (per email with Bruce at Modern Driveline)
MikeH

·
Registered
276 Posts
I wish some one would make a kit to put a 6 speed in a SC. I would buy one.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm getting ready to swap out the AOD in my Cougar. What do I need to make the the T-56 Magnum work? I plan on using a SC clutch pedal and master cylinder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts