TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lock Ring Pliers!

Can anyone tell me what type of Lock Ring Pliers I need to remove this style Snap Ring??
AOD OD Servo [Internal Lock-Ring Retainer].jpg

Just so you know..It's Internal in a Bore..Not External on a Shaft..

I'm looking for the correct tool to remove this Snap Ring..Not a "pick" or a "screwdriver"..

Any links would be great!
:thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That is a snap ring, probably need a set of the pliers with the flat ends. The ends also have like a waffle pattern stamped in the end for traction. I have a set, bought them off the shelf at auto zone, like $25 or near there. Not cheap, but take my advice, do NOT buy cheap ones and go to town, you will regret it, ask me how I know, lol.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
What is this snap ring to ?? That looks like an external snap ring the way the angled edges are facing.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That is a snap ring, probably need a set of the pliers with the flat ends. The ends also have like a waffle pattern stamped in the end for traction. I have a set, bought them off the shelf at auto zone, like $25 or near there. Not cheap, but take my advice, do NOT buy cheap ones and go to town, you will regret it, ask me how I know, lol.
I have a set of Craftsman Lock-Ring Pliers..Here's the problem..
Lock-Ring Pliers.jpg

These pliers would work great on an External Retainer(snap ring)..I need to contract the Retainer(snap ring) in order to remove it from the Bore..

SCTbird1994 said:
What is this snap ring to ??
AOD (OD Servo Cover)

Like I said in my original post..I'm looking for the correct tool to remove this Snap Ring..Not a "pick" or a "screwdriver"..

*Just to note..The 4R70W (OD Servo Cover)
uses a different type Retainer(snap ring)

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I can honestly say I've never seen one with ends like that that you would need to contract. That style I've always ran across as one you expand. i also found them in a trasmission, specifically on my T45 holding the gears and bearings on. I cant imagine a tool that would contract that style of ring. You said its on a servo control and it has to be removed from a bore, the only way I can see in my head to do it would be with a pick. If you do find something designed to work on that tyoe of ring, I'd like to see it. Good luck man.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
SCTbird1994 said:
The snap ring for the OD servo should be the same style as the type on the Low/Reverse servo ...
Correct!..Both the OD Servo Cover & the Low/Reverse Servo on my AOD use this style Retainer(snap ring)..
AOD OD Servo [Internal Lock-Ring Retainer].jpg

The 4R70W uses a Retainer(snap ring) that looks like this..

At least with the 4R70W style Retainer(snap ring) it allows you to get in there, and contract the Retainer(snap ring)..

My major concern is scratching the Bore...I suppose if there was a Hard Plastic "Pick" available..I would give that a shot.. :zdunno:

Thanks..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
Rayo - it looks like someone previously used an external retaining ring in place of an internal retaining ring.

The "4R70W" design could be taken out with the tool shown earlier. That AOD design? Is almost a "Throw it away and buy a new one" install.

RwP

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
RalphP said:
it looks like someone previously used an external retaining ring in place of an internal retaining ring.
That "Someone" was Ford.. :tongue:

RalphP said:
That AOD design? Is almost a "Throw it away and buy a new one" install.
Yeah..It seems quite a bit of the 4R70W guts,snap rings etc..interchange with the AOD...
Anything from the 4R70W that is compatible with the AOD is in most cases an upgrade over stock AOD parts..

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I've used 2 screwdrivers for years on the aod overdrive servo, if u find a tool let me know

Robert

1 - 12 of 12 Posts