TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in the Internet for Window Tint price quotes for my 94 t-bird, well i come across this company called Snap Tint....i was wondering if anyone has heard about them, they basically supply you with everything needed to tint your own windows, tools, pre cut tints (you can tell them what percentage you want and everything), just wondering if anyone has and INFO on doing this yourself.....

Maybe check them out http://www.snaptint.com

Just wondering, and if ya'll could tell me what it cost to get your cars tinted, that would be great....maybe some pics also, curious to see what it looks like on a Green Bird

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Prices I've gotten:

.......................3 Windows.............5 Windows............Warranty
Local shop #1: $120.....................$160......................Lifetime
Local shop #2: $100.....................$120......................unknown
Local shop #3: $140.....................$160......................Lifetime
All of them offered VLT from 15%-75%, shop #1 offered as low as 5%

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
if you plan on keeping the car for a good while, i.e. longer than 3 years get the lifetime warranty tint, you'll thank yourself later on down the road, i had the cheap stuff put on my 92 and regretted it 2 years later, cause it's started to turn purple, blecch. i hate purple a$$ tint. also check the warranty, if it's the good stuff like what is on my 94, it should at least have that in there on the warranty card about not purpling with age.

alot of places that use the cheap tint won't have that covered by warranty, or if they do and there is a problem they will just say you used windex on it and that's why it turned purple. gotta love those loopholes in the warranty, and don't be afraid to look at some of their previous work, if the good stuff was used it should have a dark green hue to it, that's the good stuff, the cheap stuff will have a slightly dark purple hue, if it looks like that run away. sorry for the book, just trying to give you the 411 before you make a mistake.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I've tinted windows on several cars, including three Cougars, two Exploders, a few trucks, etc...
It's not an easy job, but it gets easier with practice, like most things do.
As chorizon said, if you're going to go through with tint, spend the extra money and get the best. Metallized (sp?) tint is ideal. I think Llumar makes a good tint for the money.

However, I used the $15 Auto Zone tint from Gila. It's 35% "professional". It's been on the car for well over one year and it hasn't changed at all.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Had the back windows on the Cougar done about 2 years ago, it has turned a little purple, but it still isnt too bad. I dont really mind that too much, it hasnt bubbled at all. I hate when it starts to bubble, my friends camaro has this and it looks terrible.

If you do it yourself, take your time. If you rush it, its gonna show. Im not recommending this, but in HS a guy in my shop class used laquer thinner and water to clean his windows before applying the tint. Turned out real good in his case.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I had mine done at a lcal shop that has been doing it for about 15 years, and they did the sides 10%, and the rear 35% and did it all for $100 bucks. I am VERY happy with it.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
the sides are darker than the rear?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I had my Ranger done in 1994. The windows are still as black as the day it was put on. (Going on 12 years.) I attribute it to the fact that I have never used window cleaner on it, only dish soap.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Had mine done at a shop for $120 for rear and sides. It's fading. done 5 years ago. No bubbles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone had theirs done at Zebarts??....i called the other day and asked for a quote and they said $190 for 5% on the rear and the rear sides, and 20% on front sides....just wondering if i would be getting hosed?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Well, with the back glass that's not aweful. I've seen better prices, but that's a large back glass. So if they can get the two pieces on there seamlessly, I'd say it's alright.

You might still ask around. Do kinda like paint jobs. Ask to see their work, and maybe ask if they can get ahold of anyone that had their tint done a few years ago.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
the tint prices you are getting are unbelievable. Around here, they wanted $280 to tint all 5.

I had the two front windows on my jeep done a while ago and that was $70. :eek:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Well just $70 is about right. I figured it out to be about $30 per window. I've been trying to get someone around me to do the tint for me, at least the front two windows. A few people do a decent job. Maybe someday I'll get it all done.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ziebarts here does all the tint work for the shop I worked at over the summer. They do a good job. One our customers had their truck done there five years ago and it still looked good. They did the tint on the window we replaced for her. Dont know what they charge here, it was all insurance work.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
88pimpin said:
Well just $70 is about right. I figured it out to be about $30 per window. I've been trying to get someone around me to do the tint for me, at least the front two windows. A few people do a decent job. Maybe someday I'll get it all done.

dont the back windows on your bronco have a bronze tint? I know ours does, i'd be a little hesitant to tint the fronts....it may look kinda wierd.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Ya, I've been kinda worried. Might just tint the back ones too. May be an Eddie Bauer thing, but I'm not sure. Probably only do 35% anyway. Kinda thinking about selling the Bronco at 10MPG. I need something I can drive 240 miles over every other weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts