TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys just bought a immaculate 90 5 spd sc. When I tore into it I found out this car had a reman'e Ford engine installed in it. This car does not have one part on it that isn't ford. Hell even the PCV valves are ford. Anyways, I pulled the motor and found the crank was snapped right after the number 1 and 4 rod journals. I was just curious if this was common. I have another motor I am going to throw in it for right now but this motor is to clean to not rebuild. Open to suggestion on a crank. Also who knows wha they are doing on valve jobs for heads as well as porting them and matching the intake plenum to them. Was going to have the blower reman'ed with some slight mods to flow better. I am not looking to soup it up where it breaks every time I start it just want it to flow better. Was going to put SCP downtubes and exhaust as well as cold air intake and MAF and bigger TB. Appreciate any help and response. Look forward to getting this bird on the road it is really to nice to prt out. Thanks for reading,

John

·
Registered
18 Posts
might be better to post this on sccoa if you can, they would probably answer faster and have a larger base for this thing...but im sure someone will know on here as well, just less scers view it as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
i have 2 90 s/c's and yes its not an uncommon problem.... it does happen

typically the harmonic balancer starts wobbling and after going so long it snaps the crank

good luck finding another crank, there not that easy to source these days, you may have to go aftermarket with a different bore and stroke it.

no need for a new throttle body, the stock tb's can get you in the 12s

do a simple port job on the heads yourself, and the intake, a few hours with a hand grinder can do alot, port that blower too, no need to take it somewhere you can do it yourself just be patient and don't rush. also don't try to stay up till the wee-hours of the night to finish it that causes accidents to happen

ask me how i know?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
And do not port anything of the exhaust side.

You can cleanup the intake and intake ports.

·
Registered
25 Posts
typically the harmonic balancer starts wobbling and after going so long it snaps the crank
What causes this?

Just picked up a car (94 Cougar V6) that vibrates horribly and I can see the crank pulley moving. A shop diagnosed it as having a bent crank and/or a bad pulley. First thing I'll try is putting a pulley from another 3.8 on it, but any heads up before that would be excellent!

·
Registered
798 Posts
What causes this?

Just picked up a car (94 Cougar V6) that vibrates horribly and I can see the crank pulley moving. A shop diagnosed it as having a bent crank and/or a bad pulley. First thing I'll try is putting a pulley from another 3.8 on it, but any heads up before that would be excellent!
If the crank pulley is wobbling, check the center bolt and see if it's even there. Usually it'll snap the head off. Anyways, the rubber core of the harmonic balancer fails, which causes excess vibrations, etc etc.

Anyways, the best way around it is to buy a new BHJ unit from SCP. DO NOT reuse a stock harmonic balancer. Very few people have had any luck with doing that. They all fail sooner or later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the crank pulley is wobbling, check the center bolt and see if it's even there. Usually it'll snap the head off. Anyways, the rubber core of the harmonic balancer fails, which causes excess vibrations, etc etc.

Anyways, the best way around it is to buy a new BHJ unit from SCP. DO NOT reuse a stock harmonic balancer. Very few people have had any luck with doing that. They all fail sooner or later.
Right on. Between a friend and I, we probably have 800k combined miles on our 3.8 cars without any issues with the balancer (bolts, yes) and hadn't seen this! ~$400 for an aftermarket balancer for a $200 car, I'm not so certain about yet. $125 for the new dorman, or $10 for the sleeve I may think about. Sure it would have been a $1500+ car if it didn't "need a crankshaft" ;)

Is there any actual balance built into the damper/pulley? Like one would find on an "externally balanced" V8 like a Chevy 400 small block or 454 big block.

Thanks!

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
that happened to my uncles tahoe going up a mountain pass with a boat and trailer and over loading it the harmonic balancer wobbled and snapped the crank shaft right before the first bearing then a rod got thrown and ruined the entire block.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I love to look at carnaige? like that. When I went to pick up my friends block from a shop i noticed a pile of metal in the corner. Long story short, some Dumb AZZ ran someone elses built 442 for 10 min at WOT with no oil. words can't decribe how mangled it was. took four trips to find out what car it was in, and the name of the interior shop that F'ed up big time.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Finding another crank really isn't too hard. A lot of guys on sccoa have several spare engines from aprts cars and would be willing to sell one.

If the crank pulley is wobbling, your balancer needs replaced. Replace it and KNOW you fixed the problem. Buying a Dorman balancer will do just fine. No need to go and spend $400 on a balancer.

-Thomas

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Finding another crank really isn't too hard. A lot of guys on sccoa have several spare engines from aprts cars and would be willing to sell one.

If the crank pulley is wobbling, your balancer needs replaced. Replace it and KNOW you fixed the problem. Buying a Dorman balancer will do just fine. No need to go and spend $400 on a balancer.

-Thomas
im surprised that you could do this sually when ever i buy cheaper stuff i get screwed over x 2. i mean every time too. i would think that you could do this with a balancer

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I wouldn't use a used balancer because the rubber can dry rot. Sometimes they're cracked from setting the engine down on it too. Just not worth it for the peace of mind.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Used BHJ balancer with steel inner hub...is okay to reuse. OEM balancer with aluminum inner hub...not okay to reuse. The aluminum hub is the biggest problem with the stock balancer.

David

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Snapped cranks suck. That's what killed my SC-- except, the black guy who had it before me put a N/A bottom end in mine.

-Ghost

·
Registered
680 Posts
That is sucky

Snapped cranks suck. That's what killed my SC-- except, the black guy who had it before me put a N/A bottom end in mine.

-Ghost
That does suck - take it you don't like him too much. I bought a car from a rich white guy who said he did stuff to my car to fix it and found that he paid for the cheapest parts avail. and they broke pretty soon after I got the car.

Stephen

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Well, the car was at the end of its life, it had just shy of 200,000 miles when it died. But it is a mystery what the hell was put on that car, it was a mess when I bought it. When I bought it, the dashlights didn't work. After installing a set of fuses it was fixed-- until I started working on the stereo system and saw the nightmare that awaited me there. :(
And then there was the fun of trying to smog it :(

it was a 5-speed SC. Best car ever. :( RIP supercoupe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Used BHJ balancer with steel inner hub...is okay to reuse. OEM balancer with aluminum inner hub...not okay to reuse. The aluminum hub is the biggest problem with the stock balancer.

David
And... it's all fixed! Installed used '88 tbird 3.8 V6 OEM balancer with STEEL inner hub. :) :) (This only applies to 3.8 NA cars as it would seem NA=externally balanced, SC=fully internally balanced?)

Why ford switched from steel to aluminum at some point..... And ESPECIALLY on supercharged models with the additional pulley load as well ????? WTF!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Good work!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts