TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting close to needing new tires, and I also want new rims. My car sucks in the snow, and even just rain for that matter, and I don't know if it's just how thunderbirds are or if it's my stupid tires. Do you think investing in some snow tires to mount on my stock rims would be good, or do you think todays all season tires do pretty well in all seasons?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
I honestly think it's that our birds just hate the snow. I've read that snow tires do make a big difference for us, but can't say from personal experience. I bought Indy 500s because they got high ratings (8.5/10 or higher) in all performance categories on tirerack and ran under $400 for a set of four. I bought them at the end of January so I have a little snow experience with them but they are definitely noticeably better than the tires I had on the car before.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yes, DEFINITELY get snow tires if you can afford them! The difference between driving in snow with snow tires and without snow tires is like night and day!

Dennis

·
8,239 Posts
I buy a set of junkyard wheels for all my cars, and put a set of dedicated snows on there.

Just swap the wheels over when spring comes.

Also a few hundred pounds of sandbags in the trunk, over the axle does wonders in these tbirds.

About 250-300 pounds is enough, maybe a little less..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If you buy good quality snow tires, you won't need any weight in your trunk. Trust me, I know this! I put a set of Dunlop snow tires on my 1988 Mustang LX (5.0 liter V-8/auto) and they transformed the car from actually being dangerous in the snow to THE best car I ever drove in snow!!

While not neccessarily being a bad idea, all that's going to do is decrease your fuel economy.

Dennis

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see some are pretty cheap, at least looking at tirerack.com. I think there were some that are like $60 a tire, are these good tires? Also, I'm interested in Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires, and Goodyear rates with 10 for Dry, Wet, and Snow. That seems pretty stinkin good.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
A buddy of mine has the TripleTred tires on his car (97 Sport). According to him they're great on dry roads, "not bad, could be better" on wet roads, and "nothing to write home about" in snow or on ice. I can ask him again about them because the last time I talked to him about them was 8 or so months ago.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Go with Studded Snow Tires. I've tried everything including the Blizzaks (which were junk IMO). On packed ice and snow it's the way to go. Use a slightly taller and thinner tire. Wider is better in sand and gravel, but taller and thinner is better on ice and snow. I've used for many years Cooper Weathermaster's and now Weathermaster II's with studs. Yes, put 200 lbs. or so in the trunk up against the back seat. I also would reccomend using snows in the front. No point in going if you can't stop or steer. 70% of your braking comes from the front.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Absolutely they are worth using. I ran my lowered 95 SC as a daily driver for several years, always had Pirelli or Bridgestone H-rated winter rubber on the stock wheels ... worked awesome. Being a stick car helped a bit too, I would often just start in 2nd gear.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We do need snow tires. On my 90 Mark VII, with all seasons, it sucked. I bought a set (4) of Hakipalitta snows and low and behold, the handeling in the snow improved. You need to put snows at all 4 corners. I commuted 126 miles a day to Boston and back and never had a problem. Even on Ice, the hakis were great for a non-studed tire.

Go for it. :D

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
I’ve got a few sets of the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires for my cars and they are a great tire!! But, if you see a lot of snow/ice (which I’m guessing you do). I’d recommend getting a set of winter/studded tires.

I use my TripleTred’s for early spring/fall driving & then switch over to an Arctic Claw studded tire for winter driving. The triple’s are a great improvement but still not nearly as good as the studded for winter driving. They've never left me stuck or hardly even spun going up the hills around where I live.....I’d recommend them to everyone.

Here's the winter tire I currently use:

http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/multimile/viewline.asp?id=246

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I bought some Bridgestone Blizzaks WS-60s for my Wife's Mazda. For the first time, I am looking forward to snow. I can't wait to give these a try!

·
Registered
209 Posts
buddy put a pair on his girls crown vic cuase they had a kid and it was nuts. During a 7" snow fall we went to the gas station and he was taking corners like it was dry out. scrared the sh!t out of me but i was very impresed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just put on a set of Blizzak WS-60's. I'll let you guys know how they work in the snow and ice here in Minnesota. I'm almost hoping for snow so I can try them out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts