TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else here into snowmobiling or know of any good enthusiast websites?

I've got my eye on a sweet 93 Polaris Indy XLT.. thinking about buying it for this winter. Been riding quite a few times, but never owned my own sled before... :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I love snowmobiling, but my great younger brother threw a rod through (yup all the way) the crank case last year right before I was going to come home to go riding. 94 Polaris 500. I was a bit upset to say the least. But yes, Polaris sleds are among the best, I'd go for a 500 or bigger depending on your experience. Neighbor has a Skido, and he has lots of problems with it, but when it is running right you can ride a *wheelie* for about a block and a half. I think that's like a 800 or 900 with some add in goodies.

Joe

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Go to www.snowest.com . It is the best snowmobile forum out there.

I also suggest staying away from triples, they are too heavy for the little HP they give you. The first time you get stuck you will be kicking yourself for going with a triple instead of a twin. Sure you will lose some HP but you will also lose your low-end torque with a triple (all that power comes back up top though).

I am saying all this assuming you will be trail riding the sled. If you just are planning to run the lakes with it then go with the triple.

If you go with a used sled, stick within these years: Ski-Doo (1996 and up), Yamaha (1997 and up), Arctic Cat (1997 and up. If you go with EFI make sure it is the battery-less system), Polaris (not sure, I always assumed they sucked :D)

Anyone snowmobile thread

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just can't wait until I can get out on a sled again.. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the links (and opinions). :D

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I've owned Polaris, Yamaha, and Skidoo sleds....... I was smart enough to never own an Arctic Cat........ Yamaha has BY FAR treated me the best, There Tripple cylinder engines are BY FAR the most reliable/fuel effecent out there. Mine is a 2001 SX600r I bought new in december 2001.

my previous sleds

Polaris
90' Indy 340 twin sport great beginner sled, lacked power about 65mph and 10mpg
91' Indy 500 twin fan cooled, good sled, topped out around 75mph and got 9mpg
93' XLT 580 tripple burned a middle cylinder up with only 2000 miles on it :mad:, kinda common with older polaris tripples (gave tripples a bad name)

Skidoo
97' MXZ 470 liquid cooled,good sled, I think it was a 97' can't remember, 8mpg.

Yamaha
1990 Phazer II 480cc fan cooled twin AWESOME SLED with mediocre ride, handled great, Very light, and pulled about 85mph. engines last FOREVER and it got 15mpg (way better than any other sled I've owned)
2001 SX600R , BY FAR my favorite, 100hp 600cc tripple that rides good, handles awesome and goes 100mph on radar while still getting 13mpg
1999 Vmax600dlx this is my wifes sled, 100hp 600cc tripple, electric start, reverse, side view mirrors, the cadillac of sled and gets 13mpg

Here is my sled after getting back from the grass drags :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
BlackCat94 said:
YAMAHA

Take it from a Polaris owner, get a '97+ ProAction chassis Yamaha.
:zpuke:

I think you are thinking about the wrong end of sled. Yamaha only had it right when they offered the Ohlins shocks on the SXR's even then they were a little short on travel. Not much has changed with Yamaha since then they are essentially running the same suspension in current sleds. All they other manufacturers have updated their suspension.

I love Yamaha but the Japanese don’t know anything about snowmobiling.

They yamaha triple does sound cool though!!

BTW-I was joking about Polaris. They are number 3 on my list.

Ski-doo
Arctic Cat
Polaris
Yamaha

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
DirtyBird46 said:

:zpuke:

I think you are thinking about the wrong end of sled. Yamaha only had it right when they offered the Ohlins shocks on the SXR's even then they were a little short on travel. Not much has changed with Yamaha since then they are essentially running the same suspension in current sleds. All they other manufacturers have updated their suspension.

Actually the New 05' RX-1 has an ALL-NEW mono shock rear skid with varible damping adjustable from the seat, which should make it into the rest of the line up this coming year. Also the Yamaha Pro-Action introduced in 96' is a VERY picky suspention that requires alot of adjusting to get it perfect but once its perfect it just as good as anything out on the market right now, sadly 90% of the dealers out there don't know how to set it up properly, I "suffered" the first year I bought it (my buddies Polaris Edge rode alot nicer) then picked up the "pro-action" video from Yamaha, best 15$ I spent on that sled. :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
whitecoug said:
but when it is running right you can ride a *wheelie* for about a block and a half. I think that's like a 800 or 900 with some add in goodies.
B]

...can do that with an Polaris XCR 600 (triple). It's a buddie's mom's sled, which doesn't get ridden much, so I was able to ride it occasionally. It's sure not the fastest sled out there (I was taken down pretty easily by just about everything I raced), but it's still a lot of fun. Can pull the skis for quite some time (assuming you're not jumping off the throttle after feeling a little too far from the ground). That's been a good sled (96 or 97), but I've heard bad things about them.

...buddy has an early 90s 750 triple long (paddle) track. [for what it's worth, pulled the skis at 30MPH on packed roadway snow...up to nearly the top of my hood...(we were racing...again)]

The 750 is deffinately a heavy sled....or a tank would be more appropriate. the 600 isn't bad IMO.

and no, I don't just mooch snomobiles. I used to have twin 68 john deeres.... (yeah, envy that baby!). Finally broke down and sold them though.... Had a 67 as well, pinched a fuel line somewhere in the frame while putting a bend in the sled somewhere around the front of the track. Hit the ground a little hard that time I think... :leftright

1 - 13 of 13 Posts