TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking about swapping in a traction-lock differential. My question is whether this would be helpful or harmful in the snow. I have heard differing opinions on this from people I know. I'd rather not drive the T-Bird in the snow, but it may be necessary, at least for one winter. I have a set of practically new snow tires and wheels to put on it.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,624 Posts
its very helpful!!!

last winter was really bad here, i actually swapped my trac-lok in early in january so i could regain some control on really slippery roads. it was about 20* outside when i swapped mine out and was worth all the effort.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to put T/Assist in an ABS car that don't have it. The parts are under $100 from car-parts. I think you need a TA computer, message center and actuator/HCU. I know the brake line inputs are switched off the pump. The brakes have to be bled at a shop though.

I assume the wiring harness is the same....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have driven my car with traction assist for a winter and with a trac-lok (traction assist off)the next. There is simply no comparison. The trac-lok made the car much more stable and predictable. In my opinion the traction assist system in our cars stinks. Mine would kick in mid-corner and throw the car sideways always at the wrong time. With the trac-lok your right foot determines when and if you want to go sideways. Now if you want to be able to run with 4wd vehicles in snow, get a set of winterforce m/s tires. Cheap and tons of traction.

Just my snowy opinion,
Lorne

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I use the 2.73 trac-lok unit from my SC in my 97 LX sport, and have had NO problems in the snow.

Removing low end torque helps a TON in the snow!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have driven my car with traction assist for a winter and with a trac-lok (traction assist off)the next. There is simply no comparison. The trac-lok made the car much more stable and predictable. In my opinion the traction assist system in our cars stinks. Mine would kick in mid-corner and throw the car sideways always at the wrong time. With the trac-lok your right foot determines when and if you want to go sideways. Now if you want to be able to run with 4wd vehicles in snow, get a set of winterforce m/s tires. Cheap and tons of traction.

Just my snowy opinion,
Lorne
heh..studs...i feel more confident with studded tires on a tird than a 4wd truck. Traction + amazing handling. The winterforce tires are probably very good too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I will probably get it put in at some point in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts