TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides the intake manifold....

did they fix the trans problems that existed in the 94/95?

im lookin at a 96 tbird to replace the cougar...its only got 62k on it

the only real problem was with the drivers side window..it seemed to be getting stuck in the weather stripping or something

but the engine had no taps or knocks

hes asking 3995..but we will get him down:tongue:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only problem with the 96-97 that I can find is the fact that Ford stopped making them. The only notable failure on my 97 with 90k was the heater core. This is not too hard to change for the driveway mechanic I rate it at about as hard as changing the plugs in an SC. Over all a very reliable car especially when compared to my SC. The trans was updated but I still recommend an aux cooler added after the in rad trans cooler.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
One thing that has happened to several '96 owners with the underhood light is that the connector to it, (right behind the master brake cylinder), gets shorted out from the wires flexing each time you open/close the hood. If not caught right away, it can eventually lead to melted wires in the harness under the carpet and a blown remote keyless entry module in the trunk. This happened to me, and I still haven't got it all sorted out. Look closely where the wires go into the back of that connector- that's where they short out. I recommend removing the connector completely, and just hooking the wires directly together - that will solve the problem.

I believe '97 models don't have an underhood light, so this shouldn't be an issue for them...

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
nope, no pesky underhood light here :)

aside from that, just that stupid all plastic intake manifold.....very easy to replace with the updated NPI, or just as easy, but a bit more time consuming, to update to the PI intake manifold

·
Registered
586 Posts
My 96 has no light either. I just turned 100,000 miles, only major probs I've had were intake manifold, heater core, UCA's, and a power window switch(well that's not major though).

Mike

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
you guys are having problems with the heater cores on the 96-7s?

i never heard of it but i guess you do learn something new everyday...

so far all i have had problems with is the intake manifold but that was fixed by ford for free.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
uh.. my driver window sticky in humid weather

the pass window switch on driver side light don't work no more

trans is better than 94-95.. we have deeper sump :tongue:

we're faster than you too :tongue: .

oh.. and our cars look better :D

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
oh.. check strut bar bushing @ the frame... if it almost totally gone.. be weary of power steering or trans fluid leaks because those 2 love to eat strut bar bushings :D

and of course, check the other suspension components as well, kick the tires, etc :leftright

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
When you buy it just replace everything with aftermarket parts and you'll be set.

Thats what I did with my 97. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ball joints! On our 96 the lowers were so shot at 90K, one separated while parked!! On our 97, they are noticebaly worn at 50K. A change out is in order very soon (upper and lower control arms with ball joints, etc.,etc.). Rock Auto here I come again!:(

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
the ball joints will also cuase a hard braking pull, but thats with all 93+ spindle tbirds

96-97 birds dont have underhoodlights from what ive seen

with an auxillery tranny cooler put on at 62k you wont have to worry about the transmission as much, just put a big ol honking one on there and do the j-mod you will be set

tbirds under normal non performance use are next to indestructable, once you start racing them, things break, but thats with any car

the 3 things you have to worry about

strut rod bushings at the control arm and the k member, they go bad and cuase the cars camber to be 'adjustable' while driving along, may become a little wandery, but usually when they go bad you cant even tell, theres just the chance the caster could become a little out of spec

transmission, yes like i said before a b&m 24,000 GVW kit would be super, doing the j-mod would be a cherry on top of a big ice creame sunday, but if you dont wanna do the j-mod, the trans cooler is a bit more straight forward (if tranny work scares you, i found out the j-mod is a very easy job to do after i had seen it done)

intake manifolds, even then my buddies plastic crossover went to 113k miles no issues at all, if it has one, take it directly to ford, make them replace it, if they make you wait till it breaks, then i dont know, find a way for it to break under 75k, i dont kno if they can still replace it when the cars are geting that old

other then that the normal stuff check wear on brakes tires bla bla bla, see if the cars been abused or w/e, just shop smart

·
Registered
654 Posts
JoeyICU said:

intake manifolds, even then my buddies plastic crossover went to 113k miles no issues at all, if it has one, take it directly to ford, make them replace it, if they make you wait till it breaks, then i dont know, find a way for it to break under 75k, i dont kno if they can still replace it when the cars are geting that old

The campaign on intakes may ? be over ? Check with Ford before %$##@ - The plastic will break eventually under hard driving - get the aluminum crossover used at corral.net (cheap)

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
LST MN-12 said:
The campaign on intakes may ? be over ? Check with Ford before %$##@ - The plastic will break eventually under hard driving - get the aluminum crossover used at corral.net (cheap)

Yup, intake manifold issue is closed as far as Ford is concerned, if it blows now you are on your own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the intake manifold replacement goes 7 years after the "in service" date of your car. i just had a 99 Crown Vic P71 done this past summer. everything replaced at no charge to me.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
LST MN-12 said:
or MD, it will go but im saying, that would not stop me from buying a thunderbird just because its the all plastica manifold, thats all i was saying

1 - 20 of 23 Posts