TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i went and got my SC inspected yesterday and one of the failure issues where they needed to adjust my front wheel bearings but what ive noticedthey are Sealed how do you adjust bearings anyway or am i missing something

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You can adjust front wheel bearings by spinning wheel, turning nut tight, then backing off a bit and going back to just past tight. (Kind of hard to explain in type lol.) The more important thing is that they failed you for this? If your bearings need adjustment that they found during an inspection, I would say your bearings are gone. The only way you would say that the bearings needed adjustment through an inspection is that they were howling, loose, or both. Which means if you did not literally just put them one (in the case of being loose) than they are shot.

Something does not sound right to me here.

Edit: Robert P. good call, I had a brain fart and was thinking old school bearings lol. Our cars do NOT have adjustable bearings at all, so someone at the shop is pulling your leg imo.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dunno about yours but they aint exactly 'sealed'. New ones I just put on 'Timken' weren't.. inner race of outer brg came out.

But any bearing where retaining nut needs over 200 foot lbs torque aint adjustable, either.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
NAPA or any store that supplies shops ought to have them.
You need at least one new one. On the driver side. Right side is hardly going to back off or spin out. But replace both to feel good about it.

And dont buy cheap hubs. There's a LOT of crap on the market.
Check Rockauto.. There's also discount codes available.

- I was at PaxRiv for 2 years.. back in the day.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Tbirds have not had adjustable bearings since the foxs 83-88, if there is play they need to be replaced, tj u may wanna edit that as there is no adjustment, the nut requires 250 ftlbs to be tightened properly

They need to be replaced

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts