·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Budget?

Not much I can recommend for a 3.8 ... I hate to sound jaded but, may be get rid of it before the head gasket fails?

Seriously though. Trade it in on a V8.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well at 88 k one owner and also ford redesigned the block head bolt bosses . Also head gaskets on a 3.8 isn't that hard I have done plenty. If you tear down a pre 95 you can see the where the OE head gaskets had a mark in them if you compare right and left head gaskets the mark lines up so really you can blame felpro not ford. Anyway I have my ideas I just like to here others, that's why we share our love for these cars right.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Well at 88 k one owner and also ford redesigned the block head bolt bosses . Also head gaskets on a 3.8 isn't that hard I have done plenty. If you tear down a pre 95 you can see the where the OE head gaskets had a mark in them if you compare right and left head gaskets the mark lines up so really you can blame felpro not ford. Anyway I have my ideas I just like to here others, that's why we share our love for these cars right.
If you are going to redo the head gaskets, why not consider a splitport swap? I'm working on one now (in the middle of my gasket matching and polishing).
-g

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
I say 3.8SC swap with a 5-speed behind it. Also are those 92XR7 wheels on there?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No head gasket needed runs strong thinking later 4.2 swap. I wish those were 92 wheels I'm actually looking for some or 7 spokes, as for the paint I didn't paint it I bought it that way the wheels kill the paint job.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
+1 for one color :D

Mechanically though, 4.6 swap would be the easiest. 96/7s only require the main engine harness and PCM on the electronics side and everything plugs/bolts right in.

You should be good on head gaskets though. That issue was virtually over by 1996 when they were updated.

Are the wheels steelies with factory hubcaps? If so that's pretty rare. Does it lack power driver seat, defrost and power locks by chance?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I had always wanted to do the 4.2l swap. Lets just throw this out there though...32v 4.6s are practically a dime a dozen at the pick n pulls in Mark VIIIs, so are v8 mn12s. I vote 32v swap because I secretly always wanted to do this and it could be done under $1000 if you do all the work yourself and get the parts cheap ( engine, bird/cougar engine and ecm harnesses along with ecm.) If you get the engine through someone else, there will be mark up. Labor isnt cheap either ;)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doesn't have power seats but has power locks and defrost and yes does have steelys and hub caps rare maybe but good looks.....NO!:(

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
Yeah that's the problem with certain rare packages. There's a valid reason for it :tongue:

When you swap wheels though, keep the center cap portion of the hubcaps. They are the same as the 7 spoke ones which aren't easy to find undamaged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts