TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okeee...here I go.

About a month ago, was looking for a beater to drive, and went through craigslist. Not really knowing what I wanted, I saw a T-bird in there, and I thought, "perfect." Something with a V8, auto, comfortable, etc. So, I went and got it for $1800 out the door....the thing is, I DIDN"T CHECK CARFAX. So this thing has about 50k more miles than I thought. Stupid me. Car also has been hit on the quarter panel by the door and has had a crappy job getting fixed. I thought nothing of it since it was going to be a beater. but now, I have to worry about worn out drivetrain/engine. I'm kind of afraid to drive it long distances... I can already tell it needs new radiator & thermostat, etc etc...

The point is I decided I'm not going to put any money into this car.. Instead I decided to find another 95 Tbird, and I did, from a private owner. also selling it for around $1600. I test drove it (has 110k) and I was amazed how much better this car drove and has many more options. Sunroof, cd playyer, etc. This car has no body damage, just a ding on the fender. It's the same color car, so what I am going to do when I buy it, I'm going to switch out the good body parts.. the one I have now has the wing on the trunklid, so that's gettin' switched too. I'm switchinout the seats, maybe some center console pieces, etc.

Afterwards I am selling the first tbird I bought. It would probably make a good parts car. Not worth putting any labor into repairing the body.

Is there anything else you think I should switch out that I should look for?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so just a litlte update if anyone cares! I just bought the other tbird tonight and is now sitting beside the first one. they're like twins:xpcool:

·
Registered
955 Posts
why dont you just get the first bird running better and try to sell it.. i wouldn't switch out and body parts yet. if you do the value would go down more and you'd just be losing money in the end IMOP.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Losing money on the sale after swapped parts = buying the parts from a junkyard that will cost me just as much or more.

Anyway I'm sure there's a certain point where the car won't get devalued much anymore since it still runs good. I'm sure someone is willing to buy it for $1000 - 1200 and not care what shape it's in. The car has more prob's under its skin than it's worth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts