TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight my maf (mas) sensor went on my car.....i bought a refurb over a year ago and now its out of autozones warranty. I go to autozone do the scan and it says i believe P0102 or P102 Maf or Vaf something about a reading, doesnt that sound like the maf..?

It gives me the same symptoms like from a stop when i gas it it studders, the rpms drop for a seconds.

I really dont wanna spend the 100bucks to replace this sucker, the engine light is on and how bad is it to drive like this for another 2 months...cause thats when ill have enough $$$$ saved for my mark 8 lincoln. And yes i know the gas mileage will suffer a bit, i dont care...as long as the car doesnt completely die on me cause of the maf i'll be fine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, two months you got a problem with that..? these cars suck, i hate the car and dont wanna spend anymore money on it.

FLAT OUT what will happen if i drive the car the way it is..??

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
yes, two months you got a problem with that..? these cars suck, i hate the car and dont wanna spend anymore money on it.

you will dump gas into the cats, fouling them, leaving you unable to drive the vehicle in which case you will be able to spend more time at home complaining about how you got fired from your job because you didnt show up.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
I could just be shooting from the hip here, but I'm thinking that if it's too bad the car will go into limp mode and the car won't be very driveable at all.

I know when I forgot to plug the MAF in after some work and it barely made it out of the garage before sputtering to a stall.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well...looks like i'm changing it lol, thanks Obucina you alway give it to me straight up, that's what i love about this site.

i apoligize for my comment on tbrids, it's just that in the past year i've spent over $2,000 fixing it when i really don't want the car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
sorry but these cars are just at that age now, thats the way life is. Its the same reason the boards are flooded with talk of motorswaps. If you cant manage to buy a maf off someone, or ebay, or car-part.com. I'd say find a way to put the car in open loop mode all the time, the factory maps will run a lot better than closed loop with a bad or missing maf... Im trying to think of how to do that right now, im used to doing everything in SCT now.

Someone correct me if im wrong but wont disconnecting the primary O2 sensors keep the car in open loop? I officially dont recommend this, but it seems to be what you want.

·
5,650 Posts
sorry but these cars are just at that age now, thats the way life is. Its the same reason the boards are flooded with talk of motorswaps. If you cant manage to buy a maf off someone, or ebay, or car-part.com. I'd say find a way to put the car in open loop mode all the time, the factory maps will run a lot better than closed loop with a bad or missing maf... Im trying to think of how to do that right now, im used to doing everything in SCT now.

Someone correct me if im wrong but wont disconnecting the primary O2 sensors keep the car in open loop? I officially dont recommend this, but it seems to be what you want.
Yes disconnected the oxygen sensors will keep the car in open loop but if the MAF is messed up, it won't matter. The MAF gets used in both open and closed loop.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i thought 94-95's didnt use the maf at all times... I thought that was one of the differences between the older 4.6's and the true obdii

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
94-95 is true obII

with the check engine light on the car will always be running off a factory 'map' for the sensors, it wont go into closed loop because it knows there is an issue, and in turn is already in a 'safe mode'. i also dont think it would be possible to manauls force the pcm into an all the time open loop mode without some sort of programing or piggyback chip to force it to do so

and obucina is right, the same deal happened with me, and my maf was only bad to the point of throwing a lean code every month or so, but still fouled my cats with the bad a/f i had going on

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Why dont you just try and clean the contacts on the MAF.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why dont you just try and clean the contacts on the MAF.
DAMN!!! 13 post before somebody finely said it. Come on guys your getting sloppy, that should of come up by the 3rd post. :tongue:

·
Registered
293 Posts
DAMN!!! 13 post before somebody finely said it. Come on guys your getting sloppy, that should of come up by the 3rd post. :tongue:
I was waiting for someone to say that a search would help find your answer.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
maf failure codes would be caused by wrong voltage signals sent back to the pcm from the maf, potentailly it could be caused be a dirty hot wire, but very unlikely, as at a low volume of air, the maf could still possibly read accurately because the gunk would be at a similar temperature as atmospheric air, meaning no codes thrown.

i would expect lean/rich codes from a dirty hot wire, not maf failure codes back

1 - 20 of 20 Posts