TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 97 crown victoria that has had 2 lifes. A Police car, then a Cab. The Cab company says they picked it up as a police car. Then I have a guy that says all the police cars came with the 6 speed transmission, which it does not have. How do I find what motor it is?

My brother has a 90 Cougar with ground effects from the factory. So, we are trading out the 3.8 for the 4.6, which comes to my next question. Can anybody give me a heads up on what problems to look for, things that I need to prepare for? I want to do all the research before I make the move.

thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
http://tccoa.com/articles/overall/polint.html

The biggest thing that is said when the topic of engine swaps comes into play is to not ever get an engine from a police car or taxicab.

Sure it'll work but it'll be much more worn than an engine from a regular car. Cam bearings, for instance. Do you really want an engine that has most likely been running for at least 8 hours a day, every day of its life?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
A. That 4.6L from the 97 Vic probably has a TON of mileage on it. Not necessarily an issue, but police work is hard on a vehicle. Their maint. plans are pretty stout though. The cab company on the other hand, well who knows.

B. ALL Crown Victoria's from 92-to current have the 4.6L 2V motor. They did not have any other engine option. Don't think they'd be putting a V6 in something that size, lol...

And as far as your guy that told you that all the "Police Interceptor" Vics came with a 6 speed, that is some funny stuff. The Vics, regardless of whether they were the "Interceptor" version, or the plain old grandpa version you see on the streets all came with the same trans.- the 4R70W, which is a 4-speed automatic. And no, they never came as a manual trans either.

Let me guess, he also told you that the police cars have more HP, better rearends, etc... That is also false. The link theterminator93 posted has a lot of this info in it. Not much else is different from a plain jane Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car all built on the same platform. This "cop shocks, cop tires, cop motor" thing is a myth that I hear all the time. When people ask about the 03 CV I drive, I usually just go along with it as I get tired of explaining it, lol...

Just trying to make sure you have the correct info before you decide to go down the road of a motor swap.

Jay

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the link. yeah, she is worn out, goes through oil, but my brother has a few phases in mind with the car. I'll take pics later, not much to look at, maybe another forum too. I was given this vehichle to store space for someone, so why not? Plans are to rebuild the motor anyways. I have reciepts of the 4R70W on its rebuild, and does shift strong, that alone is worth the deal. I mean for doing nothing, and spending nothing, I feel I'm ahead of the game. So, my brother and I will stuff in in the cougar, make sure all is well, then pull it back out to get rebuilt.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
does the first intake runner go to the drivers side or the passenger side? is there dual exhaust or single? oil cooler?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well, since you have little to no $$ in it at this point, then that is pretty sweet.

My question is once you get the 4.6L in there, what about the wiring? Are you planning to swap over every harness from the Vic to run the new motor, or some type of standalone controller, one for the motor and one for the transmission?

Also may want to check the driveshaft length to make sure that once you do drop the 4.6L/4R70W in there that the stock driveshaft will fit, as it may be too long/short to mate up properly since that year Cougar never had the 4.6L or 4R as an option so there may be some differences.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Jay

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The throttle body comes out on the driver side. So, from the article, it is a interceptor motor? I figured that I might need to change driveshafts. The cougar has a AOD in it. I will be taking out the wiring harness from the crown and putting it in the cougar. I have a wiring diagram for the cougar, I just need one for the crown vic. I'll probably be doing that for a month alone, but I've done it before. I need to make sure I get the wiring set up for the 4R70W, because of the differences in the trannys.

I figured as much to change out the motor mounts, do I need to change out the springs too? for the suspension? I'm sure I do.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
no the throttle body has nothing to do with it. All crown vics had the throttle body facing the drivers side. I asked if the front most intake manifold runner goes toward the drivers side or passenger side.

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Used to be that some police spec motors had low tension rings to minimize wear at long periods of idle. Compression gasses behind the rings seal them against the walls anyway at WOT.

On 4.6s though, I don't believe there were any differences between police cars and those destined for regular folk, the differences in the cars were in the frames, coolers, wiring, shift calibrations, coil spring HD suspension, extra gussets, seats, speedometer, and alternators.

My last three CVPIs were a '98, a '00, and a '06. All three were near trouble free, the '06 is still out there having just tripped 100K a week ago, the trooper took pics of the display for me. My '98 went 115K and was surveyed because of a recuring problem with the department radio wire harness, not Fords. I wanted a new car, I got a slightly used '00 with 25k hard miles from a new trooper, he wanted a camera car and I didn't. That '00 never got any mercy from the other trooper, and it too ran flawlessly until I turned it in at 136K in 2006 and got my then new '06.

I loved the cars, why I also own a Mercury GM. Like the size, not too big but big enough to haul as much as a small pickup if needed.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Well lets see, is your car slow? If so, you may have a police engine, since they are no different than any other stock 4.6.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats the message I'm gettin. So whats all the fuss about? LOL! Well, it will be a fun project anyways. I appreciate any feedback I have recieved. It might live a little longer as CV, i might test out the paint on the fenders a little . . . see how that rear end holds up. JK! No mayhem here. But it will rise victoriously as a sweet 1990 cougar.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
NPI is all that means... The TB going out the driver's side shows CV motor.
That would be correct, as the Panther platform (Vics, GM's and TC's) didn't get a PI motor until 01.

Jay

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
So how do I know if I have a 4.6 interceptor(POLICE) motor?
Well, is there a police car attached to the motor? ;)

The "cop" motor stuff doesn't really apply anymore like it used to back in the 60s-70s-early 80s.

One sign of possible "cop car" status could be the nearly overkill use of ground straps. Lots. And. Lots. of ground straps. They're everywhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts