TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I broke an axle... (CV Joint)

Was doing some exaust mods the other day, got done and wanted to see if it sounded good or not.

Pulled out onto the street real slow like, got to about 5 MPH and gagged it, ripped through first and hit second. POP! No power to the wheels. I just knew i had busted an output shaft. The sound it was making sounded like rounded out splines.

Got it back in the shop and spun the wheels to find the Driver side inboard CV Joint was staitionary as I turned the wheel.

Got a new axle for it, was to the point in the process of popping the stub shaft out of the diff and it wouldnt budge. Ended up having to take the pumpkin out and beat the stub shaft out from the inside. Turns out the circlip broke too. The spines in the side gear made it out alive thankfully.

Got it all fixed now but wanted to share some pics, and maybe hear some stories from others who have busted axles/joints.

Here's the pics, click to make bigger

I dont know weather to be mad or proud, lol. These were the ORIGINAL LS axles w/ 203,000 miles on 'em, so they lasted FAR longer than i expected. About 30k miles since the V8 swap.

PS. Sorry for the blurry pics, took these with my camera phone, and the lens is dirty i think.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I didnt think it was possible to break these axles. Prop for being the first I have heard of.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hahaha....awsome!
thanks... i think... lol

what did you get for the replacement?
I got an aftermarket shaft assembly from O'reilly's. It's a replacement for an sc. I dont normally drive this car that hard, so i'm not too worried about breaking another one for a while. :) 69.99 With a lifetime warranty

I didnt think it was possible to break these axles. Prop for being the first I have heard of.
The axle shaft itself didnt actually break, it was the inboard CV Joint that splattered metal all over the place. The part pictured is what splines the mainshaft to the joint. It cracked and allowed the splines on the mainshaft to slip.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wheelhop took mine out. Unfortunate consequence of heavy foot+manual trans+trak lok...

oh well, if that axle hadnt broke, i may have been replacing a trans...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I've broke 4 total. 2 in the knuckle and 2 in the differential. and they were Raxles at that.

·
Super Moderator
7,727 Posts
The real question is...did you like the sound of your new exhaust?

I've never broken an axle yet, but I'm sure it will happen sooner or later the way I drive. I'm surprised stock V6NA axles lasted 30K miles behind a 351/M5R2. I would have expected them to snap almost right away with the shock from the 5-speed.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The real question is...did you like the sound of your new exhaust?

I've never broken an axle yet, but I'm sure it will happen sooner or later the way I drive. I'm surprised stock V6NA axles lasted 30K miles behind a 351/M5R2. I would have expected them to snap almost right away with the shock from the 5-speed.
Yes, i like the sound of the "new" exhaust... Just hacked off some "unnecessary" components, lol... And The stock shafts only lasted that long b/c i honestly normally baby this car. But i just had to beat on it (tryin to be cool, ya know). Cost me 70 bucks and about 3 hours of my time, i think it was worth it :D Besides I havent had an excuse to work on it in a while, was kinda missin being under it cursing and throwing tools, LMAO.

·
Super Moderator
7,727 Posts
Hey, better to break the axle now when the weather is beautiful than a few months ago. And out of curiousity, what's the point of putting a 351 in a cougar and babying it? I just don't get that. Then again, I've never babied any car in my life.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
i broke an axle n my 96.. making a u turn.. swung the ass end a lil too wide and slammed the right rear into the curb.. broke my LCA , snapped the cv joint, and pushed the stub shaft through the side gears.. gave me reason to upgrade to a mark8 housing and some t/l 3.27's hehe

·
Registered
474 Posts
Besides I havent had an excuse to work on it in a while, was kinda missin being under it cursing and throwing tools, LMAO.
I though that I was the only one that did that. But after your done its like a sigh of relief.

Oh and I stand corrected on the axle breaking thing. My bad, still learning.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, better to break the axle now when the weather is beautiful than a few months ago. And out of curiousity, what's the point of putting a 351 in a cougar and babying it? I just don't get that. Then again, I've never babied any car in my life.
I baby it b/c i got the car from a friend for 300 bucks. But i put 1500 in the motor, building it and making it fit. Not to mention all the hours i've got in it. I didnt build it to be a race car, i just wanted a unique DD. Next winter i'm planning on re-building the motor w/ some better rods and some flat tops. then i may beat on it a lil more often :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ive broke a few exactly like that, where you can piece the joint back together. Fortunatly for me though, I could take the magnet and pull out the shaft from the carrier without removing the carrier.

jOe

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ive broke a few exactly like that, where you can piece the joint back together. Fortunatly for me though, I could take the magnet and pull out the shaft from the carrier without removing the carrier.

jOe
You break things, couldnt imagine...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts