TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 2 weeks ago i think i injured my groin. i'm not a doctor, and don't have time to visit one, but i think that's what it is. it was bearable until this weekend. it now seems worse, and a i get a sharp pain when walking, though not all the time. the pain now is in a different spot than the first pain. i can also feel some pain in my upper knee area on the right leg...same side as the sharp pain. i was reading that there would be some bruising, but the only bruise i see is on my left leg, though it is pretty good size....larger than a baseball. obviously i cannot take weeks off of work to "heal". is there some otc that will assist?

reason being, i assume, is the baseball league i joined after not playing for about 10 years!!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
And you haven't seen a doctor yet? Not having the time is just a cop-out - what happens if it gets worse to the point where you are hospitalized?

Where is the unbearable pain? In your abdomen?

Can you go to one of the "first-stop" type of walk-in medical places?

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
pain is in upper right leg.....near my man purse!!

edit: i have been taking generic ibuprofin to amuse myself, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Being an EMT - I can only say that at this point - since the pain is getting worse - you should seek medical attention.

Otherwise;

You can always try applying heat to the injured areas, as well as taking an anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen, or one that you have taken before.

Some people will argue for ice, but heat allows more circulation of blood to the affected area.

Not to try and scare you or anything, but since you don't mention the mechanism of injury, it is possible you could have a damaged femoral artery, and if that let's go........

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fyi, it generally only causes pain when the leg is in forward motion, not backwards.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The knee area pain could be due to a change in posture when walking or standing - due to your injury.

You really need to talk or visit with a doctor. An x-ray will probably be requested

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to try and scare you or anything, but since you don't mention the mechanism of injury, it is possible you could have a damaged femoral artery, and if that let's go........
now that i think about it....it was probably early to mid april. as stated, i joined an adult baseball league. our first practice was just batting cages. i remember the pain later that night, and for a few days after. i figured just not doing that activity for 10 years was the cause. it has been off and on since, but nothing i couldn't deal with. about an hour after yesterday's game, i started noticing the pinching type pain. that too, has been off and on, but mostly on! kinda like a nerve pain. don't know. will call doctor next week, as i have too many obligations this week. thanks for trying to help.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Don't want to let that go too long if it is one. My old man did that and it was huge when it was finally removed!

Joe

.....Not to mention the fact that if it gets pinched tight enough to where the circulation gets cut off to the intestine......

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It could also be a Hernia which may require medical treatment...
after reading up on some of the similar symptoms online, i would have to lean towards a sports hernia. i could be wrong!!

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello

Go to the DR.! If you have BLOOD CLOT you could loose your leg!

OR WORSE have a stroke. EVEN DEATH!

Paul
friend of the family broke his leg last year. proper action was taken, and he was out of work and in a cast. one night, he went to the local bar with some friends. had a blood cot, and he dies at the bar. he was under 40.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Here's a copy and paste - note the treatment section - and they recommend ice over heat - so go with that

What are the symptoms of a sports hernia?

A sports hernia typically begins with a slow onset of aching pain in the lower abdominal region. Symptoms may include:

Pain in the lower abdomen
Pain in the groin
Pain in the testicle (in males)

Typically the symptoms are exacerbated with activities such as running, cutting, and bending forward. Patients may also have increased symptoms when coughing or sneezing. Sports hernias are most common in athletes that have to maintain a bent forward position, such as hockey players. However, sports hernias are also found in many other types of athletes such as football and soccer players.

How is a sports hernia diagnosed?

There are no diagnostic tests that can be used to detect a sports hernia. The diagnosis is made by the patient's history and physical examination. Your physician may perform tests to rule out other causes of groin pain.

What is the treatment of a sports hernia?

There are no treatments that have been shown to be effective for sports hernia other than surgery. That said, the initial treatment of a sports hernia is always conservative in hopes that the symptoms will resolve. Resting from activity, anti-inflammatory medications, ice treatments, and physical therapy can all be tried in an effort to alleviate the patient's symptoms.

If these measures do not relieve the symptoms of a sports hernia, surgery may be recommended to repair the weakened area of the abdominal wall. In number of studies have shown between 65% and 90% of athletes are able to return to their activity after surgery for a sports hernia. Rehabilitation from surgery for a sports hernia usually takes about eight weeks.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just read that online myself. i called the doctor to check their hours, but didn't set an appt yet.

tonight and tomorrow are my wife's dance recital dress rehearsal. wed night is the actual recital. thursday night is dinner with long distance relatives, and then an 8:15 baseball game. friday they close before i get out of work!

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Guess we'll have to round up a posse' and take him in ...lol

..........seriously - go to the ER around 10 or 11 pm when it is usually quiet - or you'll just have to miss the recital. You cannot let this type of thing go on for so long with increasing pain.

The pain is your body's CEL light ... now you have to go and get scanned ......

1 - 20 of 79 Posts