1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
Heh, not 2 hours ago I looked at that listing just browsing through eBay. Looks straight and clean where it counts, but man is that paint shot. If you can live with that I'd say it's a pretty nice car if the price stays static.

I'm curious about what bolt pattern it has, those look like OEM 05-09 bullitts and it doesn't look like it has adapters judging by their position in the openings

·
Super Moderator
9,181 Posts
Assuming no screaming mechanical defects (which you'd like to think the seller would be straightforward with), looks like a typical 97 with faded paint in need of some TLC. If you're fine with the deteriorating paint etc. then I'd say it's worth a shot at under $2k.

Downside being if you get there, test drive it and find something that's a deal breaker, you're 6 hours from home with no car.

I wonder if the LEs came with the spoiler or is it a Sport as well?
Based on the door jamb code it's likely also a Sport. Sport was a factory option, LE was a dealer add-on - so you can have an LE car of just about any flavor (V6, V8 etc.).

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Going by the door sticker it's a sport model with an open differential. If everything works well that's not a bad price. You can tell it has not been garaged much. Also the drivers seat is about to start falling apart towards the top.... It's all cracked an dried out, probably from the sun beating on it and not having the leather conditioned over the years.

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
I've never seen an LE without the spoiler, but that doesn't mean they're sports. The dealers who applied the stripes, floor mats and badging either also added the spoilers(they are prepainted from the parts department) or they were special ordered with the spoiler, with or without the sport package(or even V8), from the factory, which seems most likely. Most non-sport LEs I see have the chrome plated fanblades as well.

·
Lightly Seasoned
717 Posts
I've never seen an LE without the spoiler, but that doesn't mean they're sports. The dealers who applied the stripes, floor mats and badging either also added the spoilers(they are prepainted from the parts department) or they were special ordered with the spoiler, with or without the sport package(or even V8), from the factory, which seems most likely. Most non-sport LEs I see have the chrome plated fanblades as well.
The fact that the spring code is JJJJ makes it a Sport

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the only thing that spooks me. The guy said that it was well maintained before.

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
The presence of the OEM aluminum crossover npi intake is a good sign for it's past maintenance. Faded as the paint is, it's no worse than any other I've ever seen in laser red, it's just one of those colors.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I looked at that car when it was for sale on the road here in Mint Hill a couple of months ago. The paint is shot but the wheels looked good. Curious if it is the same seller why it hasn't sold. I can't remember what the price was.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
"She's not so bad man, she's got what, you know, some paint and, you know some fiberglass, yes indeedy!" :D

Honestly, I'm surprised you haven't replaced your 96 with a newer Mustang yet?
:zdunno:

Rayo..

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"She's not so bad man, she's got what, you know, some paint and, you know some fiberglass, yes indeedy!" :D

Honestly, I'm surprised you haven't replaced your 96 with a newer Mustang yet?
:zdunno:

Rayo..
I want one, but every Mustang GT I would want to buy is out of my price range. People are proud of them for some reason.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This has nothing to do with the car but black cat i spit out my drink when that image loaded up

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I want one, but every Mustang GT I would want to buy is out of my price range. People are proud of them for some reason.
The Thunderbird is in my opinion a superior car.

I bought my first one because I couldn't find an affordable Mustang GT. The Thunderbird handles better, is more stable, can be made as fast, and even when lowered are worlds more comfortable.

My laser red 97 with LE stripes (done by the previous owner) is every bit as faded, especially on the rear bumper. A repaint is needed.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts