TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the other day marked the end of a long friendship. I sold my 94 Thunderbird V8. Everyone is still asking my why I sold the car that I put so much blood and swet and tears into? The car that had put the myth to rest of "thats just a grandma car" to oh so many rice rockets. You will be missed.

Now for the question... I have always wanted a 97 or 98 Mark VIII LSC, and was wondering if I am going in the right direction for my next project. My brother has a 00 Cobra R clone and I so despretly want to stomp on him (a little or at least keep up). His car has the stock 4.6 with a KB supercharger(2.8L I think) mated to a 5 speed with a centerforce clutch. All I want to do is get the drop on him and was wondering if there is a good place to start.....97 better than 98 or ????

thanks
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The only way you could beat a 2.8L KB on a 00R cobra clone....would be to match that charger, or get a novi 2000 with 14+lbs of boost, and have 4.10's.... you have to make up for the weight.
Are you looking to beat him on the street or the strip...
If it's just the strip, then a big shot of nitrous, 4.56's, torque converter...
But you'd need a forged block to give the shot of nitrous you'd need.
Obviously you don't want to put in 4.56's if you're daily driving...
I guess we need price range, daily driving?, and where you want to beat him...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
also...00 cobra R clone..... does that mean he has the "R" heads on his car???
That's going to create a big obstacle for you too....
I don't know if you mean cosmetically cloned to a Cobra R....or the same engine as the '00 Cobra R

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hmm, if he has a stock 4.6 meaning SOHC and stock internals, he can’t be running THAT much boost so I think it’s possible. Id say a blower (or nitrous), cobra cams, cobra intake, Kooks headers, gears and tranny should get you really close.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
David_viny said:
Hmm, if he has a stock 4.6 meaning SOHC and stock internals, he can’t be running THAT much boost so I think it’s possible. Id say a blower (or nitrous), cobra cams, cobra intake, Kooks headers, gears and tranny should get you really close.
well...if it's a 00 Cobra R clone....I would hope it has the DOHC....
otherwise it's a mustang GT with cobra R bumper/exhaust/hood....I'm under the impression he has the 00 Cobra R engine.....I don't know of a 2.8L KB that sits on the SOHC...

·
Registered
824 Posts
wasnt the 00 cobra r engine a 5.4L?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Teal94BirdV8 said:
wasnt the 00 cobra r engine a 5.4L?
I believe it either was or was really closely based on the on the Boss 290 engine that the Aussies have the choice of. I do know that the 00 cobra R was not supercharged, it was N/A.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me again

Yes the car is just a clone with a 4.6 sohc with the biggest KB blower we could get. Don't know for sure how fast it is, we can't even get the vette guys around here to even step up. Just trying to get and all around better car ar far as handling and performance. Money is really not a concern, dont really want to hurt the car just make it better. Thanks

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
well if money isn't a problem...
Those B heads on a Mark Viii LOOOVVEE blowers....
Get a forged Shortblock, stock heads, stock cams....lots of boost and you'd eat him. (with supporting mods, i.e. trans, gears, TC, tune)
I would guess $8,000 ish..... and that's not counting a bullet proof tranny.
You could try using the stock shortblock.....some last with the blower, some don't.... Depends on how much you wanna throw at it...if you're gonna depend on the blower, i.e.- have stock heads, cams, etc....and just give it lots of power, then you'll need the shortblock. If you did heads, cams, etc. you wouldn't need to give it as much boost to make it go....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts