TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay here we go. It was over heating like mad one night on my pizza delivery runs. I didn't know at first becaseu my temp gauge broke. well the resevoir filled all the way up and bubbled mumbo jumbo. anyway. i'm an assjack so i kept driving it that night to do my job. i drove it for like 2 more days real easy (under 2000 rpms at all times) but whenever it owuld go over 2000 (only after it heats up) a really awesome loud clunking/clicking noise would happen (like a really really loud diesel engine)

i'm wondering what that sound is from

i'm wondering if my HGs are definately blown and how to find out

It has sufficient oil now but was leaking before it got messed up and was low. it leaked a lot i guess

the oil hasn't turned milky (yet?)

no huge loss of power is evident

i think my thermostat went becasue the car is definately always overheating. it was on and off for about a day then ust all of a sudden i think it gets almost nothing for cooling. the radiator line wasn't even hot like 3 of 4 times i checked it in 2 days

uhh
thanks and have a great night

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Sounds like you have a problem that caused it to overheat, and that the head gaskets are toast becuase of it.

If you are seeing coolant forced into to reservour, and bubbles there or the radiator, that is a good indication.

You can do a compression check to see if a cylinder is low.
You can check your plugs and see if you see one that is clean, and 5 others that are not.
You can get the radiator pressure tested to see if it is getting combustion pressure
You can get the radiator checked for combustion chamber gases (a sniffer)

I personally would replace the thermostat and see if that fixes it, make sure that your fan is working right and not causing it to overheat, and then check for the head gasket problem.

My head gasket problem occured on my 89 Cougar because the little tube to the coolant bottle popped off, causing it to dump the fluid on the ground and not suck any back in when it cooled off, running it low on fluid and eventually overheating with the wife driving it away from home in 120 degree heat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts