TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this, but I had a 4.6 and this section seems to be well-attended so here goes..

I have made maybe 1 or 2 posts on this forum, so to most of you I am nothing more than random letters on a screen. But this is serious, and there has to be someone here who could understand and give genuine advice. I frequent a local car enthusiast forum, but the people there are just so negative and hostile, it's a different world. The extent of the advice I would recieve there would be "ew, it's a FORD THUNDERBIRD, get over it." Or from my family.. "it's just a car... god.."

I have had my 95 v8 tbird since I was 17 (5 years ago), it was my first car, and the only thing I had that was totally mine. So much money has slipped between my fingers for things involving the car (modifications, repairs, tickets, legal fees, etc). The car became part of my identity, and I was so proud to drive it because it represented who I was and where I have been, and over the years I made it into what I wanted (everything from lowering, platinum tint, new two-toned leather, teal interior and reverse bulbs, to one of those sirens that you press the button and it chirps, so much stuff..). I even got a tattoo of the tbird symbol on my inner arm, after the artist warning me to get something more 'timeless', when that car will forever be timeless and priceless to me whether i have it in my possession or not. Besides all the sentimental stuff, a thunderbird itself is the perfect blend of luxury and performance. It has this feel that other cars just do not emit. From what I've seen, it's a ***** to work on, and it has it's fair share of problems, it's too big and heavy for most people, and if you went by observation it would be a middle-age women's mid-life crisis car, but that doesn't matter.

Basically I wrecked the car last week. The body is fine, I just hit something and the suspension/frame on the driver's front side is messed up. I don't know the specifics but it's totaled, and there are connections to people who could fix it but it would cost the car's whole value and it would never drive the same. Not to mention the car had a chronic "Check Engine" light deal, among other problems that were occuring before the wreck. So I came to the difficult decision to purchase a brand new car. But there's an even harder decision that I am completely clueless on what to go with.

What do I do with the Tbird? Keeping it and repairing it is not rational. I have come to terms with the fact that I will have to make an insurance claim and have them total it so I can make a down payment on the new car. But no way in hell it will go to some junkyard, so it will be bought back. This is where it gets tricky... I can't let it go, but seeing it sitting in my driveway messes with my head. Parting it out would be a long and painful process, and besides that I would have to find someone who could take parts off for me and evaluate their value. People don't modify Tbirds around here so things would have to be taken care of online. Although the idea of just getting rid of it and not having to look at it appeals to me, I can't sell it in one piece, that is my car and can never be anyone else's, and I couldn't set a price on it. It isn't like there is a perfect option, so what I want to know is.. what would you do?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hey! I too LOVE my bird.... it isnt rational...unfortunately, it is a fact of life....
What you need to do is check with your insurance co 1st... see what youre going to come away with...
At that point, youve got some hard and serious decisions to make. First off, if the front end is bent up as bad as you say get rid of it, and never look back. The prob is these cars are getting to be of an age where there are just too many parts on the brink of letting go, and unavaliable.
You might consider a 1 or 2 year old Focus (Gasp! a 4 cyl?) Well, times, they be a changeing, and gas economy plays a role in decisions today, as well as 'Insurance Costs', something the T-Bird was great for... no one realized they were a hot car relative to their ins. rating, go figure. Anyhow, the used Focus has a resale like a T-bird (drops like a stone)'n decent insurance rates ,good mileage, and a couple of great supercharger kits (I like the Procharger's myself). You seem to be the type to hang onto a car for a long time, so a 1 or 2 year old Focus at a decent price, with low miles would be right up your alley. The surprising thing about 'em is the room..... At 300 lbs, I am comfortable in one.
The other viable alternative is to look around for a 96, or 97 T-bird/ Cougar with low miles and dirt cheap...Look around , theyre out there , especially in Fl. Usually driven by an elderly person , garage kept , and worshipped like a temple goddess... hard to find , but theyre out there.....
I for one wil try to eek a few more miles outa mine at Gainesville Raceway :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I agree - look for a good, low mileage '96 or '97 T-Bird. It will be a TON less expensive than buying a brand new car, and if you did buy back your old one for parting out, you could save the best stuff to use yourself or keep as spares.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
dont buy a pos focus !!! i bleed ford blue but those cars really suck , and first off when does suspesnion damage warrant getting rid of a useable car? and check engine lights arent that big of a deal you just fix whats wrong, hey look at it this way if your that attached to your car. fix it and say to to hell with everyone else, and your talkign to someone who has over 5 g in building and fixing a 89 cougar, and besides there are guys and girls here who have spend a whole lot more than me

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Well, call the ins. co. and see what they'll give you. What exactly is wrong with the car? It can't be bad, given that there is no body damage. Doesn't take much to "total" car with poor resale value like our cars have. I've seen cars that were "totalled" that really only needed a few parts to be made well again. Busted ball joints and cracked control arms make the wheel fold up under the car, looks like it totally ruined, but it's really not. May even need time on a frame rack, but if you love the car enough, keep it. I feel the same way about my Thunderbird, and every day I drive I'm glad that she's still with me, so I know how you feel. Advice is good, but ultimately it's your decision what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
part out what you can, too bad about the wreck

·
Registered
166 Posts
You say 5 g's i say 9. I wouldnt just get rid of the car man becuase let me tell you. I went from 4 engines, wreck damages and suspension problems with my 94 4.6 Cougar....not to mention with no-fault insurance so everything was on me. To me it really sounds like you MAYBE have a broken ball joint or something. Just have an back alley mechanic look at it for cheap to see if it can be fixed. I would just give up on it. 4 engines for me and im just getting it right...maybe thats why my trans went but that will be fixed soon lol!!

Also how did you wreck it..did you hit a pothole or something?

Click on the CLICK HERE below 2 see my car. I had it for 5 years as well
CLICK HERE

·
Registered
472 Posts
zelle said:
I frequent a local car enthusiast forum, but the people there are just so negative and hostile, it's a different world. The extent of the advice I would recieve there would be "ew, it's a FORD THUNDERBIRD, get over it." Or from my family.. "it's just a car... god.."
hmmm lemme guess dragva.com . I dont even bother with all of the ricers over there anymore. I use to take my bird out to the meets but no one would take me serious even after laying the smack down on them. Well I need some parts if you decide to part it out and Im local too lemme know

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hey man, I understand where you're coming from. I've owned my car since I was 17 as well (21 now) and this is the first big thing that I've bought and paid for all myself (besides a college education!!!). I've been in some extremely minor bumps where I nearly freaked out (car backed into me and an F150 ran over my bumper as I was backing up); so I understand completely.

My advice is: Find another Bird with fairly low miles (try to get an SC) and just swap parts.

IF you're interested in parting out, I would be interested in the two tone leather you speak of depending on the color. I know custom stuff would be hard to part with, especially if you're considering buying another bird, but you would contemplate selling it, PM me. I'm looking for some leather and SC side skirts/body kit.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
I know how you feel dude. I swiped a light post back in Oct. It shoved the wheel right into the back of the fender well. Like everyone says... doesn't take much to total the low value of these cars. Insurance company low balled me hard with 3400 dollars. I went around got quotes and then NADA.com value and got them up to 4560 + tax, title, and stuff. The body was heavily damaged but all that was wrong was the lower control arm assembly had been bent. They just found a replacement and put it on. Just be sure if they fix yours to have the ball joints checked out. I got lucky and the nut fell off pulling out of the drive way and the wheel folder under. I'm just glad it didn't happen on the hightway... I'm scared to think what might have happened. I bought the car back, got it fixed, and bought new tires with the money left over. She actually drives normal other than the right side grabbing a little harder than the left. But I'm sure I can fix that in the brake department. I know how you feel. I bought the car myself. My dad just cosigned for the loan but I'm paying it off. Its in my name, I got the insurance on it. I will never let it go. I'll drive it until it rusts out... hopefully that will never happen. But if you care enough about it... it doesn't matter how much it costs to fix it. You just do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts