TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....after about ten seconds it made this horrible metal grinding noise and an assload of white smoke poured out my engine bay. Is my compresser gone? Is it just that i need more antifreeze? What gives?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
sounds like your AC compressor took a dump and locked up and your belt was smoking on the stopped pulley causing the white smoke. Ya need a New compressor.

·
8,239 Posts
man I wish I was turning on my a/c today! You california guys are lucky. Its like 40 degrees here now, brrr.

Justin

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aren't compressors like 700 bucks?

·
8,239 Posts
expressautoparts.com has them for around 250. If you aren't installing them yourself, the total bill will be about 700 bucks.

Justin

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
It wouldn't be too hard to do your self, just need to bring it in and get it recharged with R-12 or 134a after your done.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Alex, in CA you should have it evacuated, to be legal :rolleyes: you're not suppose to just release it to the atmosphere EPA stuff

·
Registered
95 Posts
AC Compressor

It definitely sounds like your AC compressor has seized. Ouch!

My AC compressor packed it in this spring. I was able to purchase a used one from the scrapyard for about $120. My dealer evacuated the system, changed the compressor with the one I supplied and recharged the system for about $250.00 so my total bill was about $400.00 (including the used compressor) by the time all the taxes and crap were paid. Not a cheap repair, but you'll have your AC going again for a reasonable price. FYI, my original quote from Ford for the compressor was $900.00; aftermarket, believe it or not was $1100.00. (All prices $CDN)

Best of luck to you!! My two cents: I wouldn't hesitate buying a used compressor from a reputable scrapyard, but if you can indeed purchase a new one like Justin H says for $250 I would go that route as it will have a much better warranty than the used one will (A year or so as opposed to 30 days!)

I've changed a compressor or two in my time. It doesen't appear to be that difficult do to on the T-Bird, but it might be worthwile having an AC shop do it. AC work can be tempramental and if you don't take care with seals, you'll have a leaky AC system and you'll be back and forth to the AC shop for frequent recharges which are nothing but a pain in the butt!!

Another benefit of having an AC shop do the work is that most shops will be able to "reclaim" your refrigerant and re-use it assuming that your system isn't empty. R134a doesen't go bad :) and you may be able to save a few bucks on the cost of re-charging the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts