TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin told me he would give me this turbo if I thought it would work on my car. I wanted to hear your opinions on whether or not you think it could work for me. It is a Garrett TA34. The compressor side has a A/R .50 with about a 3" inlet and 1.5-2" outlet (this seems a little on the small side to me). The turbine has a dual inlet flange, and has about a 3" outlet. I believe the casting said it had a 1.15 A/R but it's kind of hard to read (this seems kind of large to me).

The turbo itself is actually from a John Deere tractor with a diesel and a displacement between about 450 and 600 CI, or so I am told. I don't really know much about turbos, or forced induction, but I have done some reading over at turbomustangs.com and feel like I have some basic knowledge, but would be uncomfortable with sizing and such. I don't know how to determine the trims and wheel sizes either. I have been searching for info on it, and I think it might be some variant of the T04(E?) but I'm not for certain.

I wouldn't really be looking for something that would be putting out a ton of horsepower. I'd be happy seeing about 6-8 psi of boost and about 350 hp or so (a little more would be nice, but not a necessity) at the crank, considering that I will still have a stock shortblock. From what I have gathered from searching, it seems the larger turbine housing will make the it spool later, and the "smaller" compressor might limit the output. I wouldn't really mind if it started making boost a bit later in the rpm range, say maybe 3000-3200 rpms or so, as long as it did not end up choking the engine at higher rpms.

I'm trying to be realistic as to what my goals could be. If it only made 50 more horsepower, that's still 50 more than I had before. I can weld, and should have plenty of exhaust pipe laying around that I can play with. I think the main expenses would be the BOV, and wastegate, and the intercooler should I choose to use one. I could always upgrade to a different turbo in the future, but for now, I'm just looking for a semi-inexpensive way to add a little more grunt. I think it could be a fun project to put together as well.

I'm not a total newb, and am not asking for someone to hold my hand through this and spoon feed me every answer; mainly for someone to get me pointed in the right direction, and a little advice along the way. I appreciate whatever light you can shed on this for me. I almost forgot, I remember reading in a magazine about someone putting a tractor turbo on a 5.0 stang. Does anyone know what magazine and issue I'm thinking of?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
my thought would be that the turbo is too big, and it wont spool.... be like a supra with 900 rwhp that only runs 13 seconds....

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
yeah that turbo most likely has a the 1.15 ar on the exhaust side thats a large housing your 281 cubic inches wouldnt spool that sucker to get any real potential out of it. if you decide to do a turbo setup collect all the parts and research research research before you even start to pick up a wrench. If you go turbo you need to consider wether youll go blow thru or draw thru....or speed density stand alone, tuning, fuel system(injectors, FpR, lines, high flow pump, wastegate, intercooler or meth injection, oil lines, and so much more. If you plan to put the turbo under the hood you will need to build custom headers. I built a front mount twin setup but have went with remote mount due to ease of instalation. less headaches, less heat, very little decrease in performance, less cost too...
also if you plan to keep Ac and ps it gets even harder. one easy way if you wanted to front mount a single turbo would be too run a driver side NA header and route the downpipe in the stock location then u turn after the tranny and into a custom made log header the enters at the rear and the outlet at the front with pipe up to the airbox location where you can place a single and still run a down pipe under the passenger side custom header. this way you would have to lose AC but can keep power steering. this is just the start of trouble also be sure to have another dependable ride :) you need a better turbo than that something along the line of a 60mm

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Way to big.... Sell it and if you are really considering turbo charging your car, you better start reading and get a smaller turbo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts