TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dose anyone know of a website that tells you how to go about it?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Maybe check this forum out?? fibreglast.com

Jay

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Buy some fiberglass and some resin and some rubber gloves and start trying it. It's not hard at all. Basically all you have to do is make sure that the resin soaks through the fiberglass completely, so you will lay some fiberglass, then use a paintbrush to spread the resin on and into the fiberglass, then lay more glass, and keep alternating them until you build enough thickness.

Mike

·
Registered
493 Posts
Go to a Marine Supply store and look for West System they have manuals on technics, mixing and laying up fiberglass there system is epoxy based system not ployester. You do not have to use there product but there manual is a good reference for the basics. http://www.westsystem.com/

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a trick to get fiberglass to stick to steel i head of drilling holes in the steel and leting it seap through and leting it dry i've never used firberglass but wish to learn i have a spoiler idea that i wish to get under way and iam going to pick up another trunk lid so if i scrap the idea iam not out as much

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Well fiberglass will not stick to steel indefinitely. Sooner or later it will start to seperate no matter what you do. Your best bet in my opinion, if you never want it to come apart is to hide some rivets somewhere in the middle of the fiberglass. Basically start fiberglassing what you want, then once you get a couple layers, let it harden up, then drill a few holes and pop rivet the fiberglass part to the steel part. Then sand the top coat of the fiberglass with some 80 grit just to rough it up and give more glass something to stick to, then blow it off and put some more coats of fiberglass covering the rivets. When this is done, around the edge use some clawglass to smooth the edges and hold them down at the same time. Oh yeah, before you do any of this, make sure that you remove all of the paint and primer in that area. You will never get anything to stick if you have paint in between the fiberglass and the steel.

Mike

PS. You could also use this method with bolts instead of rivets, and then when the part is all done, you will have studs that are embedded in the fiberglass that are sticking out, and then you can bolt the part to whatever you want.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and how would you fill a large gap like a .5" and one side and 1" at the other. basically what iam doing is molding a fox body spoiler on my trunk lid and I bought a trunk lid today at the bone yard and the spoiler was only $20 and i wish to do this to make my car diff and some people may not like it but I like things that make people think. it looks awsome i just need to get it molded to the trunk lid.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Resporator++++

Since you have never been trained on how to use/care for one, buy a good 3m one that fits your face and bring it over, I will show you how to clean it and how to wear it, proper.

Come clean-shavin, you need to have a bare face for proper seal and this is something you will def. want...

Again, 3m brand...no cheap ****...and make sure the filters are good for fiberglass resin/dusts...

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
To fill a 5" gap, you will need some kind of backing to build the fiberglass on. Either balsa wood, or cardboard, or posterboard, or something like that. Whatever you use won't be structural once the fiberglass has cured, so you don't need to worry about that. Just as long as it will give you something to build on. Also what scotty said about the mask is good advice too. When actually building up the fiberglass you won't really need it, but sanding it down you definitely will.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts