TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And time to break down what i've spent, a lot of numbers are estimates, receipts were rarely given....cheap mechanic near me.

Cost of the car, Jan 2015. 2,000 bucks. 50 bucks to pay a friend for gas and tolls to go with me to pick it up near Baltimore MD.

Job 1: Tires, dunlop signature II's 215/70R15 on the 1996 rims. 450 bucks.

Job 2: Brake flush. 80 bucks

Job 3: Repair exhaust leak, on driver's side, 140 bucks. bolts on manifold to cat snapped off.

Job 4: 120 bucks, new oxygen sensor, mechanic cut me a break for install, local guy.

Job 5: New plugs/wires/coil pack on passenger side. 200 bucks in parts since i went with OEM except for the coil pack which i got at autozone. Warranty vs OEM....yeah

Job 6: At the same time as job 5 i got new front brakes done, i live with OCD grandparents so i didn't do it...and now i know how to do my brakes, so i won't be paying for this again, parts are raybestos advance tech pads/rotors, prior owner had the cheapest stuff on there. 225 all in.

Job 7: New Lower control arms, 150 bucks in labor, about the same in parts.

Job 8: New rear shocks, done by me, 150 i think in parts.

Job 9: new rear coils, 50 bucks, new front shocks/coils, 200 bucks in labor, 300ish in parts. Local guy wanted 700 just for the front, wouldn't let me bring my own parts.

Job 9.5: Not required but, switched to 1997 LX Sport wheels, 225/60/16 tires, 225 for the rims, 450 for tires, friend helped me with install of the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season tires, discount at his work, and paid for it for me.

Job 10: New fuel pump....twice....first part failed, no warranty, so 300 bucksi n labor twice to replace the same part. learned my lesson on that one. oh and a new coil pack because i thought that it failed too.

Job 10.5: Kenwood stereo with new speakers, leather interior swap. 600 bucks.

Job 11: Water pump, power steering fluid change, oh and the brake lines rotted out. friend borrowed the car to visit his dying mother in law with his wife, and crap happened, worked it out to where for all the stuff that went wrong, i paid 600, he paid the rest. 500 just for the brake lines alone. and also the strut rod bushing replacement.

The .5 stuff is for parts that didn't wear out

Last things to do by the way.

Paint the car.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Way to Go.

I respect your efforts.

Keeping our cars looking good on the road n healthy.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question is, should i pay top dollar at Maaco or try to find some place else. Maaco offers a decent warranty.

·
Super Moderator
16,757 Posts
Maaco IS bottom dollar, if you do go there get the top dollar paint option(assuming they still offer it), you definitely don't want a single stage metallic, which is their go-to economy paint service.

I also recommend removing the roof mouldings, lower side window seals, side cladding and anything else they probably won't remove or simply mask off, and specify they do so for anything you can't remove in order to get to get the car there legally - headlights, taillights, quarter Windows (or better yet just yank those when you drop it off in their parking lot) Also put the crappy old wheels/tires on if you still have em, they WILL get paint on them.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If its a time option let a VoTech do the job. Won't be the best job in the world but since you provide the paint you will know its a quality product.

A quality paint job should start ~$2k. Think, Macco only offer a 5yr warranty max, how long it/has the OEM job lasted?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its a time option let a VoTech do the job. Won't be the best job in the world but since you provide the paint you will know its a quality product.

A quality paint job should start ~$2k. Think, Macco only offer a 5yr warranty max, how long it/has the OEM job lasted?
They quoted me 3,200 bucks.

Full masking, strip the hood, roof, c pillar, top of the driver's door, and trunk lid to bare metal, replace the rocker panels on both sides, got a quarter sized rot hole.

Platnium Package. The platinum package is a bundled package of several incredible services that will ensure a superb paint job. Included is light chip & scratch repair, priming and block sanding of all areas after initial prep service and urethane sealer. We offer a five-year warranty against fade of gloss and peeling.

it isn't the one and done paint job. i am looking into my local friends to see who has done paint prep before. Strip the surfaces down before they get their mitts on it.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
95% of a good quality paint job is prep work. If you go with a Maaco job, you need to do some prep work of your own, and that includes removing everything that is touching any painted panel. Moldings, lights, windows, door handles all need to come off. This means getting the car to the shop it will likely need to be towed there, and for that price, Maaco probably won't want to reinstall all the pieces they didn't take off, so factor a tow to and from the shop in the price as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,757 Posts
You could probably remove and install the lights at their lot, door handles and glass obviously not so much, but on the other hand no side windows or even back glass wouldn't render the car undrivable. Hell in the case of door handles, ever seen the Dukes of Hazzard? :tongue:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not me driving, not me as a passenger, friend borrowed the car to visit a dying relative, i let him borrow it to head over to the tail of the dragon.

The is pre PI intake, but with a K&N drop in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts