TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a clean break, is there any way of getting this out short of pulling the head?
Oh and here's what i found in the end of my socket:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Sounds like it's time to pull the head. Cause there is still part of the plug in there as well. Time for a drill and an easyout.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Pull the head. No other way to go about it.

Slap on a set of ported heads while you are at it. Damage gives you an excuse to upgrade. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Were you using a sparkplug socket? what brand of plug as that.
I agree with the other guys you gotta pull the head. But its not that hard on these cars. btw starting the car was a bad idea, i hope you din't damage a piston.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
drill wont fit in there, also i started the car and the porcelin shot out.
Sorry but that is funny. Stories you'll tell the kids one day.

Pull the head. Not a problem. It's an expensive plug change but you'll have an easy time getting it out from the inside.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I seriously would pull the head. As for the porcelain shooting out, that may be good, but you have to remember that there could be particles that are still trapped in the combustion chamber.

The ONLY way to be safe about this is to pull the head, do the work OFF the engine, then put the head back on.

If you do this work while the head is still on the car, you will run the risk of metal shavings being put into the combustion chamber, and then cylinder wall scoring from the shavings, and then things can go bad from there.

Do yourself a favor. Don't half a$$ the job. Do it right, and then you don't have to worry about it down the road.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
hey while your at it you can do the HG's lol, sorry not funny but I would not want to ruin my motor by taking chances. UNLESSSS your looking for a V8 upgrade once this one dies., in which case pour some water in that hole while your at it lol jk.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Heat the head with a oxy/sed torch. Tap one of these in,
(easy out)

and back it out. no need to remove the head at all. Just be sure you fish out the porcelain before you tap the easy out in. Heat is the key as well, but dont tap it in and then heat the head, you will ruin the easy out. TRUST ME, it works. I do it every week at work. pretty common problem when you're a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I just had this same thing happen to me today. I just got a set of GT40 heads from the J/Y and when I tried to remove the last plug it broke right off.

I socked it in PB blast, hammered in a extractor, put a small bolt through and welded it all with no luck.

What I finally had to do was dremel down the barrel of the remaining plug, tap in a large screwdriver and twist it out (With a big sigh of relief).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I am guessing it was on the passenger side???

Here's a little tip, if you have any enemies, save that porcelain, and maybe if you ever see this hated person around toss it at there window.....:diablo:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts