TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What make and model should I say to get one if I can?

It pooled by the spark plugs. I cant think of anything else it might be. The temperature was far from being hot though according to the guage. I just want to drive and enjoy this thing already. This is annoying.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks for the info. I guess as a pro I will be doing an upgrade a lot sooner than I thought.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you are interested in upgrading to 02 Mustang Airbox, tube, MAF, TB, and all the brackets, hoses, cables and gaskets to do it, PM me.

We recently acquired a DOHC for a swap, and will not be needing the above parts unless I also decide to PI swap the OEM npi engine that came in the car.

RD

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are interested in upgrading to 02 Mustang Airbox, tube, MAF, TB, and all the brackets, hoses, cables and gaskets to do it, PM me.

We recently acquired a DOHC for a swap, and will not be needing the above parts unless I also decide to PI swap the OEM npi engine that came in the car.

RD
Will that push the car over to needing a tune? About how much hp would that even gain? I seem to remember reading that if you change the MAF sensor you need to tune the car. The goal is 300 hp so I will definitely need it at some point. I will send you a message.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
There is already a running thread on this same subject, but: does the M-9424-P46 have an actual heater hose port at the right rear corner of the manifold for the T-Bird? It appears to in the pics. The video of the guy drilling and tapping the plastic blind hole on an Explorer manifold is ridiculous. I guess you could have a poll for when an already well-known trouble spot would fail.

Also, if you wanted to swap the alum crossover - are the o-rings even available? No way I would swap that unless they were. I don't need to, I have a tap. But just curious.

Al

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I dunno if those are available since the whole manifold is considered one part. I suppose if they are round you could try to match it up. I would buy a tap before trying to match up o-rings by size and material.

Al

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
are the o-rings even available?
When I did my PI swap, I took apart the aluminum crossover and reused the original O-ring. However, I also added gobs of RTV Black to the exterior edges of the O-ring because the condition of the O-ring looked questionable to me. It's been working fine ever since.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,648 Posts
There is already a running thread on this same subject, but: does the M-9424-P46 have an actual heater hose port at the right rear corner of the manifold for the T-Bird? It appears to in the pics. The video of the guy drilling and tapping the plastic blind hole on an Explorer manifold is ridiculous. I guess you could have a poll for when an already well-known trouble spot would fail.

Also, if you wanted to swap the alum crossover - are the o-rings even available? No way I would swap that unless they were. I don't need to, I have a tap. But just curious.

Al
The O rings wont be any less new on the new intake when you swap crossovers. It doesn’t hurt them to remove it, I take the crossover off regardless since it’s much easier to drill and tap for the sensor on a drill press with the rest of the intake out of the way. Keeps any stray aluminum shavings away too.

But yes, the M-9424-P46 has an actual heater core port. The Explorer is the only variant with that blocked off, and this particular intake is designed as a direct replacement part primarily for Mustangs and Crown Vic’s

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Okay. I was picturing the Dorman being an outlier, and possibly not matching the Ford alum crossover to just swap o-rings.

Al

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,549 Posts
Will that push the car over to needing a tune? About how much hp would that even gain? I seem to remember reading that if you change the MAF sensor you need to tune the car.
Yes. You can't change MAF sensors - not the sensor, not the meter - wthout getting a tune. "Calibrated" MAF/Injectors are a myth - check out some of the MAF sensor articles for more info. You would not gain any HP from the MAF - with a tune you can get a few HP for a better A:F ratio and if you want, more timing via premium fuel. This is where extra power would come from - it's not from the MAF or air intake tube changes. Factory NPI 4.6 heads don't flow enough for either the air intake tube, MAF, throttle body or plenum to be a restriction.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am getting information all over the place on this site. One says you need a tune the other says you dont. I am currently not interested in performance right now. I just want the car to run. I do not want to buy a non-PI intake only to swap it later once I have money for a tune.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The only non-PI intake available is the Dorman. You don't want that one.

Al

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Is it worth it to gasket match the NPI heads to match the PI manifold? Not that I am looking to make the "over-the-fender" job bigger than it needs to be.

When I order the supporting parts - should I just pick a car like an '04 Crown Vic to use? I guess I need the coolant tube, nipple for the water pump, and gaskets. It looks like it's going to take a phone call as I am finding nothing online for the valley tube. Hope I don't have to go second hand.

Also need a couple feet of 5/8" hose and a 90 deg adaptor to connect to the heater hose? Wish there was a cleaner solution for that, don't like extra connections or plastic adaptors.

I like the video where the guy made 4 studs to align the gaskets. Does anyone know the size and pitch of the manifold bolts? Maybe Ace hardware has studs that match.

Thanks,
Al

1 - 20 of 97 Posts