TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,909 Posts
Gasket matching the intake makes virtually no difference

Here’s the tube and nipple

What I did that simplifies the heater hose situation is switch the inlet/outlets of the heater core, and use the section of the stock hose as a 90° elbow to a hose coupler and you can then run a straight hose to it. Works great

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,237 Posts
Looks much cleaner than what I did, though I was bent on keeping the SATC temp sensor, and later on I did the "crack pipe" cooling mod. :)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Thanks!

For the intake manifold, I was originally looking at Summit for $255, but a Ford dealer might be a lot cheaper. Tasca lists it at $202, though I might shop for something I can pick up local.

I see the LMR replacement manifold with the integrated gaskets, it sort of gives me Dorman flashbacks.

Al

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Thanks Matt. Are the gaskets different side to side? The Ford site only lists the LH gasket. The LMR site appears to include both for $39 since it says "gaskets". Hopefully they are Ford gaskets.

It looks like the plenum gasket is integrated into the manifold, but it looks like I also need the LMR alternator bracket. We have a Crown Vic that I can use as a reference.

I may be able to get a heater hose that is close, so I don't have to have an adaptor. I have an extra Crown Vic hose that may be close, or I could use that to look around at Advance for one that is a better match. I do like the Ford EPDM hoses, of which already installed two NOS ones. :-(

To be clear, the M-9424-P46 and Ford 3W7Z-9424-AE are the same manifold, correct? That is the Ford part # for an '04 Crown Vic. It's about $50 cheaper for the Ford #. I guess if you get a sketchy enough site like "Ford Parts Giant", they might try to slip you a Dorman. Who knows.

Al

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,909 Posts
Yes, M-9424-P46 is the Ford Performance part number but it’s the same thing as the 3W7Z-9424-AE which is the vehicle specific part number. I’ve always been tempted to buy from Ford parts giant but usually use them just to get part number references and find out if things are discontinued or not. And correct, the plenum gasket is integrated on the PI. You might be able to reuse your current alternator bracket if you slot the holes a bit with a rat tail file. Intake gaskets are indeed the same for both sides.

the angle of the heater hose needs to be closer to a 45 degree angle since the heater core ports angle towards the passenger side, the short piece of stock hose I used worked out best there for that reason, and more importantly the hose diameter is stepped at the heater core, as it’s ports are slightly larger than the valley tube. I’m certain there’s a single piece hose for some application that could work though, just a matter of finding it. There are some hose couplers I’ve seen with sensor taps in them too, so if you wanted to use CELO (if you have SACT) you could use the coupler to mount that sensor.

·
Super Moderator
10,237 Posts
I've bought from FPG before, they're OK. Weird name to be sure, but pricing is pretty well on par with some of the other "well known" dealership parts outfits that sell nationally, e.g. Tasca.

If you do something with a coupler with the CELO sensor that "floats" it away from its old mount bolted to the head, be sure the hose is grounded otherwise it won't work.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
What is the "CELO". I don't have the SATC, mine's a 97, they don't have any options, lol! And wat exactly about the hose is being grounded?

Upon closer inspection, the LMR alternator bracket won't even work on our cars, it doesn't have a provision for the top bolt. The Mustang alternator bolts on differently. So the threaded holes on the PI don't quite align with the holes in the bracket?

Overall, the thing that makes me leery is the "dab of sealant" at the 2 coolant ports. Or is it not a big deal?

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Can someone give me the demensions of the water pump nipple so I dont have to pay $15 plus shipping for a peice of plastic?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
It also has o-rings. Not a bad looking piece. If you're trying to cut costs, go with Mikey's suggestion of running 5/8" heater hose under the intake, keeping the stock nipple and water pipe.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,237 Posts
CELO = cold engine lock-out sensor. Cars with SATC have a feature where they won't turn on the fan when set to heat in auto mode until the coolant has warmed up sufficiently. They have an extra sensor at the back of the valley heater pipe, just after the heater core outlet for that purpose. Manual climate control cars don't have it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Gotcha. I did like the SATC, and the CELO on my 95. It got you the maximum heat as soon as possible on cold mornings. Sometimes passengers would wonder when it was going to kick on!

Al

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Two questions:

Will I lose any low-end torque with the PI manifold on an NPI engine? The car has very nice low-end torque.

If I wanted to add PI cams only later on to go with the manifold, would I need a tune?

I also just realized the alternator bracket that's on the car is a Dorman piece. I hope it matches up with the PI.

Thanks,
Al

·
Super Moderator
10,237 Posts
Yes. PI cams more than make up for that though. :)

No need for a tune with either PI intake and/or cams.

·
Super Moderator
7,951 Posts
I'm sure there is some low end torque loss with the PI manifold, but it really isn't noticable. What is noticable is that it doesn't fall on its face at 4800rpms anymore, and you can rev it out to about 5500rpms.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
21 - 40 of 88 Posts