TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I didn't order the blower, but I did order some parts from Jason. I got the Ford racing manifold, he said it was the one that everyone ordered. He thought there was something different about the Crown Vic manifold (Ford part no.) with the alternator bracket. I have the Dorman bracket, apparently. Sorry to use the "D" word.

I was planning to clean the EGR ports in the plenum while it's off. I know what the answer will probably be, but is it worth cleaning that up inside at all?

Not looking to hog anything out, but if there are any sharp edges or restrictions inside I might. I forget what it looks like inside, but I did clean the EGR ports in our old Cougar. It wasn't much, and was tedious, but I know how these cars like the EGR clean.

Darin10: just get the Ford water pump nipple, it's like 4 bucks.

Al

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Wait... I was planning on just grabbing an intake off of any crown vic and just put it in. Will I run into any issues other than the heater hose? Am I still missing something?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,909 Posts
Only 2002+ Crown Vics came with PI engines, and given their usage you need to be very aware of what’s in them, as many fleet operators may have changed the OEM intake for a generic Dorman somewhere in the 300-400k miles they tend to have when they hit the junkyard.

The issue you’ll run into with every OEM PI intake is the lack of temperature sensor provision on the crossover that needs to be drilled and tapped. The ONLY PI intake without a heater hose provision is the Explorer one

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
I am going to swap the crossover to the intake. I also know that the runners run deeper into the valley of the block which is why the heater hose is an issue. Do Dorman "PI" intakes have those deep runners? How you told me in the beginning of this post I had the impression they don't.

·
Super Moderator
18,909 Posts
The PI Dorman runners are as shallow in the valley as npi, but there are visual differences from the top to look at too. Older Dormans have holes next to the plenum inlet between the 2&3 and 6&7 runners, and newer Dormans the runners look square. The plastic has more of a shine to it as well but that might be difficult to tell used.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
For the work that's involved, I would never buy a used manifold unless you plan to sell the car. Even the best PI still has a lifespan.

Looking at the Dorman pics, the PI is virtually indistinguishable from the NPI, and they appear to show two different part #'s on the underside. Even the ports look similar. Must have been a redesign because it looks different than the one on my car.

Al

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
717 Posts
I have a PI intake on the motor of my 95 parts car if needed.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Is there some coating that is durable enough to withstand the heat that can make these plastic manifolds last longer?

·
Super Moderator
18,909 Posts
The coolant areas are the problem, it’ll last forever on the induction sections.

I have some practical doubts about this but something I have considered as a possible trouble free plastic intake setup is lop off the plastic sections under the crossover and mount the crossover directly to the intake gaskets, block off the heater passage somehow(or use an explorer intake) and use a 4V crack pipe off the back of the head instead. Biggest con I can think of is I the 1&5 runners won’t have bolts keeping pressure on both sides

·
Super Moderator
7,951 Posts
The coolant areas are the problem, it’ll last forever on the induction sections.

I have some practical doubts about this but something I have considered as a possible trouble free plastic intake setup is lop off the plastic sections under the crossover and mount the crossover directly to the intake gaskets, block off the heater passage somehow(or use an explorer intake) and use a 4V crack pipe off the back of the head instead. Biggest con I can think of is I the 1&5 runners won’t have bolts keeping pressure on both sides
For the crossover, I would sooner fill the entire O-ring area with epoxy, then just make a flat paper gasket to go between the crossover and the intake.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
What is the coolant port at the back corner of the left head used for - another model car? I would have thought that port would connect to the other head like at the front of the engine. I guess it has enough circulation with just the front. Ironically, that appears to be the spot that my old Dorman is leaking, presumably from the gasket. Will have to see.

Al

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When I swapped my explorer coolant crossover onto the grand marquis intake I smeared a 1mm layer of black RTV on the gasket side of the cross over and then just bolted it down.

Been on the car for 3 or 4 years now. No leaks.

Granted the car has driven maybe 1500 miles within that time but the fact remains.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

Today I finally found time to start on taking off the intake. How can I be this retarded? I wonder if this happened with the accident or if I did it. Are these that easy to break? The EGR solenoid broke too along with the thin plastic tube. I am afraid to the check the engine light with how many things are wrong. Its amazing this thing ran at all with how many things are wrong with it. I am glad I am doing this now so it can run smooth again.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,237 Posts
The plastics are, if original (likely), very old and brittle after years of heat cycling. I'm not going to say it couldn't have been avoided, but it's not difficult to do.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
While you have the alternator off, re-route the spark plug wires under the alternator. Gets them out of your way and looks neat and professional.

Al

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
So when I remove the crossover to tap it for the sensor, is there a torque value for the bolts? I was figuring just hand tight, and might even use the 1/4" ratchet. It doesn't look like it has metal sleeves like the manifold to head bolts, but I haven't taken it off yet.

Thanks,
Al

·
Super Moderator
18,909 Posts
I never used a torque wrench on them, I just tighten them till they stop. Remember, those bolts are really just there to hold the crossover on with the manifold removed, the torqued down intake manifold and thermostat housing bolts sandwich it all together regardless

41 - 60 of 88 Posts