TCCoA Forums banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Um, my brand new PI intake arrived and the middle is blocked off? Where does the heater hose go? Do I need to return it?

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
It could be a misunderstanding. That's why I am asking. In the center of these I was thinking the heater hose goes through.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The center... not the plug. But since you didn't mention that either then this intake is fine. Alrighty then.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,549 Posts
The valley heater hose doesn't go through the intake, it goes under it. The PI manifold is deeper than the NPI manifold, and the NPI valley heater hose is in the way of the intake. That's why the PI valley heater hose is needed - it's routed off to the side so the intake will fit.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Don't forget to drill and tap for the coolant temp sensor near the T-stat.

Looking at it, the thick aluminum under that spot only goes so far, so there is no margin for error. I am going to pull the T-stat housing from the car to use as a guide. The sensor is right next to the housing on the car, almost touching it. And it needs to be as that is where the thick aluminum is.

It will be interesting to see how the Dorman alternator bracket matches up. Until I remove it, I don't see why the metal extends so far over the intake manifold, nothing appears to attach to it in that area.

Al

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Well, I decided to treat the radiator drain plug like it was a Grade 8 nut and broke the outer half off with a boxed end wrench, dammit!!! I was coming at it crooked. I've loosened those things probably 20 times before, not sure what happened this time.

I managed to unscrew what's left of it with an Allen key. Hopefully the plastic is compatible with the really good plastic weld I have, I may try to fuse them back together, after waiting for the coolant to stop dripping. Or I guess I'll just pull on it till it comes out.

I found this plug that says it fits 1993-2020 on Tasca, but then it says it's not compatible with my 97 T-Bird. The outer part looks exactly like it. I found that a Dorman 61127 supposedly fits.

Al

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Bringing this back up. Anyone ever replace the drain petcock on the radiator? The one in my pic looks like what I have, but it claims it doesn't fit the 97 T-Bird.

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bringing this back up. Anyone ever replace the drain petcock on the radiator? The one in my pic looks like what I have, but it claims it doesn't fit the 97 T-Bird.

Thanks,
Al
I couldn’t find the drain on the radiator and assumed there wasn’t one. I just did the water pump recently and I just pulled the lower hose to drain. I made a huge mess and got coolant everywhere. I do mean everywhere. Lol. Wish I had spent a little more time looking for the drain.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Are you talking the location of the drain? It is on the bottom right of the radiator. I finally noticed that there is a small fitting to the right of that that you can put a piece of hose on it to make the draining much cleaner.

Al

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I dont know if that is an area where the 97 differs from the 96 but that looks like the same as mine.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I got a tip from my Ford guy that a dealer in town had the drain plug, so I picked one up.

Al

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Well, I am finally finished installing the PI intake! It took a while, too long! But I am picky about everything being just right, ex: cleaning all the carbon from the EGR and IAC passages, or anywhere else on the throttle body or plenum. Plus, we had several rainstorms that either cut the day short, or had a stop and restart. I only have one garage spot.

The good:
Everything transferred over from the Dorman to the PI. I am talking the studs, the Dorman alternator bracket, even the alternator went on with no modifications unlike what some videos said. I thought for sure the Dorman would have self-tapping studs for the fuel rail that wouldn't transfer over.

I already had every part or tool that I needed including two random 3/8" nylon spacers to shift the EGR controller back a little, two extra heater hoses from our '04 Crown Vic that fit perfect but thought I'd never use, the 3/8" tap, and the cutoff wheel to finish removing the coolant nipple that had gotten mangled while breaking it loose.

The bad:
I broke the drain petcock the first day by being too aggressive with it. Ironically, it was the last part to go back on.

Tapping for the coolant sensor was an ordeal. I drilled it myself up to 13/32, then it started getting violent, so I went to a couple machine shops that either were too busy or didn't have a drill press, WTF? I ended up borrowing a drill from the neighbor that had a 1/2" chuck so I could use the 9/16" bit I bought. In the end, it turned out great, it just took a little long and was stressful since you don't get a second shot.

The job took long, even for me. It turned out, the Dorman was leaking in two places - the left rear coolant passage, and under the T-stat area. The #5 and #8 plug wells had coolant in them, I am surprised I had no codes or drivability issues. Apparently, you can go for a while in that state. That coolant is sneaky, there was really no visible sign from above like I've had before.

Going to have a beer tonight! Not that I didn't almost every night after working on the car, lol!

Al

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The crossover is totally different, it won't swap over. But the two threaded holes for the bracket are somehow in the exact same spot.

Al

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I haven't gotten to the nipple yet and I am already having problems. I am beating up my dead blow and water pump trying to get it off. All the bolts are out and it is not coming out. I already need to get a new water pump now so any ideas what is going on?

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I wacked the shiz out of it. Problem solved! It didnt even have a gasket and didnt leak...

61 - 80 of 97 Posts