TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 1997 nearly fully optioned 4.6 bird with less than 75k miles. Hit hard behind the passenger door. Runs great. Drives enough to move. The frame is perfectly straight. This is killing me...

What does everyone think?

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Yanno what I do? I call dibs on the console top. :D If you part it out, that is.

But in all honesty.. the car is probably gunna be too expensive to repair, especially with that heavy amount of damage in the quarter panel, which is welded to the frame. If it was a fender, I'd say fix her up and go.. but that quarter panel is gunna cost you thousands.

But seriously.. I want the console top.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The only way that's be worth fixing is if you got it for free - that damage is right around $4K - $5K at a typical body shop.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Darrin said:
It's a 1997 nearly fully optioned 4.6 bird with less than 75k miles. Hit hard behind the passenger door. Runs great. Drives enough to move. The frame is perfectly straight. This is killing me...

What does everyone think?
Is it fully insured? I doubt there's any way to fix the damage and come out ahead. Has it been checked over by a body shop? Personally, I would take the check from the insurance company and keep my eye open for another '97.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already own the car. Got it in trade for nearly nothing. When I got it I figured the frame was bent (it isn't) and/or that it wouldn't run perfectly like it does. It even drives straight after I straightened the upper control arm on that side.
I can do all the work myself if I decide to fix it. The 1/4 panel new from Ford is a couple of bucks over $600, the inner panel is about $650 and the inner and outer wheelhouse together are about $250. So about $1500 in body panels plus paint and other misc stuff. I already have the quarter glass I would need left over from another trade.
I am looking for a rear clip at the moment, but I just really don't know what to do with this thing. I am starting to think hard about pulling everything out of it and completely updating my 90, but that's a lot of work. That would leave me able to sell the engine and tranny out of this one since I have an 02 explorer engine on one stand and a 98 GT 4.6 with PI heads on another. Both are already built and ready to drop in something.
Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'd go to a junk yard, buy a complete quarter, weld it all up and drive the wheels off it. 97s are really nice rides and around here complete quarters go for about $500......Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
man, thats a shame. if it was mine, i would keep it for parts,
and look for another nice 96 or 97 bird, as the engine parts,
and everything else will too. good luck to you.
sorry that happened to your nice car.

Frank

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think my vote is with the parts idea. Take everything of worth of it and between eBay and the TCCoA you could make some cash

Karl

·
Registered
192 Posts
I cant belive you cant find a rear clip anywhere.Arent they all the same from 89 till 97?The junk yards around hear are packed with them.I've also seen 89-91 3.8 cars at auction for under 400.But if you do part it out, I'll take the fuel rail :D

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If you got the car for nothing, and were doing all the work yourself (ie not spending thousands to get it fixed) then it might be worth fixing. It's up to you whether the car is worth the work to you or not.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I 2nd the get a quarter panel from a junkyard idea.

and go take a welding class ;)

I hate to see a bird die.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I'd find a '96-97 with a bad engine or tranny for cheap, I've seen them around here for around $1000, and that's cheaper than you could fix that quarter panel, and have it look good. Swap the nicer parts off yours onto the new one, and call it a day.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You say You can do the work yourself. I would start looking at the self service yards for a right rear Qtr clip and take a sawsall and cut it out and weld it in. You should be able to pick one up for around 125 to 250 or so, the door looks like it would an easy fix, I say go for the repair.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not in a hurry and I am keeping my options open at this point. I am going to drive it into the ole trailer and let it sit while I work on a few other projects(02 Explorer swap into my 94 bird and I have a Vortech that I am thinking about putting in the GT).
If I decide to fix this, finding a 94 up donor car is likely what I will do. I need airbags, a trunk lid and there is some ugly damage to the left quarter from some idiot trying to bust into the trunk with a big crowbar or forklift fork or something before they decided to cut out the lock. You would think they could have tried to get in from the damaged side, but nooooo... Maybe they were afraid that if they pried on the already bent side they would break the back glass LOL. Can you belive that didn't break anyway. Part of the quarter is bent up over it and most of the rest of it pulled away from it.
After it was wrecked, the prior owner let it go back to the bank and that is how I ended up with it. No insurance claim was ever made and it has a clean title but if I fix it I am keeping it so that doesn't really matter much.
I actually got the car just for the parts thinking the frame was probably bent. It turned out the frame is straight and the car is in better shape than I had thought and really is fixable. I am having a hard time getting myself talked into cutting her up. Just wanted to see what you all thought about it.
Thanks for all the input.
And btw, welding... Yeah, I can do that. I can fix it

Darrin

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I would strongly recomend that you buy a 94-95 car with a bad engine. A v8 would be perefered but a v6 car can work. Just remember you will have to changer the brake booster and proporting valves if you get a v6 car where you won't if you get a v8. A lot of the ac lines would have to be changed if you had a v6 car. If you did get a 94-95 I would switch the hood, bumper front and rear along with lights and then freshen up the paint. Even if you could repair it it has substanial structural dammage to the B and C pillar and it has pulled the pannel away from the bottom along with all the bracing from the inside. If you don't want to part it I would buy a whole 1/4 and part of the roof from a junkyard. Even If you did fix it It would never be the same It would track wired squeek rattle and have a host of other problems. If you did get a 94-95 I would update the engine wiring harness to a 96-97 because of the intragrated controol for spark in 96-97

·
Registered
39 Posts
ok got a funny story that kinda goes along with this it was about three months after i got my bird nice day bout the middle of sep. right after school had let out (still in h.s. at the time) and i was doing my normal thing cruzing around town alil bit before going to work i was pulling into the dairy queen long line of cars in front of me i had no more then got my tail end of the street after a s-10 had pulled into a parking spot so i could get in, i had seen the drive of the s-10 get out and start walking inside, next thing i know he's running back out and i'm like wtf??? and i look over at his truck as it's rolling into the side of my bird hit me in exactly the spot that your bird is damaged right behind the pass. door and mind you it wasn't moving fast only moved about 10 feet but hitting in that spot it didn't take much to do alot of damage looked about as bad as the one above pushed the panel nearly 6 inches in guy at the shop said that if it wouldn't have creased the door jam it prolly would have poped out i looked at him and laughed cuz the panel was creased in four other places plus the door jam. anyway 3 weeks and 3500 dollars worth of shop fees, a whole new side,door and paint she was back on the road and all that cus the guy wasn't smart enough to set a parking break (s-10 was a 5-speed)

but anyway back on topic i say fix it cost me 3500 at a body shop and i'm sure if your gonna do the work yourself you could do it for like 1500 so whatever you choose to do good luck to you

·
Registered
298 Posts
all this talk reminds me why I hate unibody cars

1 - 20 of 24 Posts