TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You could, but I wouldn't risk having a leak to oil.

I've never used it.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
They used silicone silicate to seize engine during the cash for clunkers program a few years ago. Not no, but h3!! no! How did the mechanic diagnose it as a head gasket failure? Compression test?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
They used silicone silicate to seize engine during the cash for clunkers program a few years ago. Not no, but h3!! no! How did the mechanic diagnose it as a head gasket failure? Compression test?
like I said in the other thread, lots of questions conveniently go unanswered.:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure how the first did it because I did not see/ forgot to ask. the other guy used this turkey baster looking thing that changed colors to detect hydrocarbons in the cooling system. I have been reluctant to believe them though. although it over heats it hasn't lost any power. has no cooling escaping out the exhaust, except when ran w/o the t-stat. is there a way that a leaking oil pump or pan could be a culprit? and is there any way that the coolant is escaping into either of these two things?

·
one in a million
148 Posts
have you tried another thermostat?

also if there is a air pocket in the block, the thermostat won't open and you'll get high pressure.

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
I am usually against band aids for your engine, but if you're that desperate, go to O'Reillys and get a big bottle of Blue Devil, follow the instructions exactly as they are described on the bottle, if not you're in for more of a headache than you've already got going.. It usually works on every car I've ever used it on with severe misfires casued from the head gasket failure. It should seal up the headgaskets long enough for you to go find a decent motor to swap in. Yeah you read that right, get a new motor, chances are yours is toast and not worth putting the time and effort of tossing a set of headgaskets and possibly heads on.

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
They used silicone silicate to seize engine during the cash for clunkers program a few years ago. Not no, but h3!!
Agreed. :rolleyes:

OP, you need to run from whoever said that was even an option.

That's just stupid.

That was a trick in the 50's, and that's actually how people learned that it kills engines. :facepalm:

Kinda like using an egg, lol. (mr.garrison:Sulfur and aluminum is bad, m'kay...)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i've always had good luck with this

plus machining the head smooth and grabbing some new bolts.

those sealers are for some pile of garbage Neon your limping down the road to get where your going, or your accumulating enough money to find something better.

·
Registered
253 Posts
https://secure.steelseal.com/index.php/t14?gclid=CJP50cmqybcCFck-MgodvHcAng i have heard that this works from many people .
They used liquid glass for the cash for clunkers and the oil would get drained out first . they really screamed until they would lock up . jeeps with 4.0held the record .
I seen a lot of the Ford 302's and Chrysler 318's hold there own under that solution too, lot of them outlasted the GM engines under that stuff.

I still wonder did that program really help the people, and was it really necessary to any level at all?

I second on the blue devil solution. Course when you use these things you are doing it to get by until it can be properly corrected or the car sold to some poor unsuspecting person.

I remember when headgasket failure was more prone to 4 cylinder vehicles, now it seems prone and common to mid 90's and up 6 cylinders and 8's lots of them ohc engines too. Just something more to look forward too on years to come of automobile ownership.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts