TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I sold my 96 today. Bought her in 2007 with 91k on it. Paid $1500. This is how she looked today.

145k And sold her for $800. Hated to let her go so cheap but the compressor locked up and I didn't have the time for her.

·
Super Moderator
11,903 Posts
Damn. I'd have given you $800 for it. That's a clean car.

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
I would have done the same, honestly.
I love those wheels. Taurus SHO?

·
̇
3,702 Posts
steamer471 said:
Well today I sold my 96 today. Bought her in 2007 with 91k on it. Paid $1500. This is how she looked today.

145k And sold her for $800. Hated to let her go so cheap but the compressor locked up and I didn't have the time for her.
You got your moneys worth out of her at least..

Did she go to a good home??

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
11,903 Posts
I'm on the road right now with a 15" laptop screen. My Uber-monitor is at home.

Yea, I noticed what you mentioned. I was more referring to the interior.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah regular Taurus wheels. She had a salvage title and someone did some lousy work. (she had a 94/95 front end) I bought a same color 96 and swapped out the parts. The steel part of the bumper is still bent in and the sheet metal was just pounded out. Previous owner smoked cigarillos and I never could quite get the smell out. (and I'm a professional carpet cleaner)

The thing I think I hate giving up most is those factory headlights. Just a couple of years old. Probably have all together with services and parts I have spent about $4k not bad for 50k miles of service. Sold her to a young couple in their early twenties who just bought 6 acres of land and a house. Should serve them for years to come.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
ill probably be in this boat soon enough, though mine will most likely go too the big scrap yard in the sky... once i strip off everything i want to swap too another less rusty bird. its getting to the point where theirs more rust underneath mine then solid steel. :(

at least shes still on the road.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow that's a shame. Not trying to brag but my cars are pretty much rust free. Part of the trade off of living in a hot humid climate. I've seen some Yankee birds in the bone yards down here, not a pretty sight.

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
Wow that's a shame. Not trying to brag but my cars are pretty much rust free. Part of the trade off of living in a hot humid climate. I've seen some Yankee birds in the bone yards down here, not a pretty sight.
Humid climates don't guarantee rust free, the inside/out rust tends to happen in the humid climates. Warm dry western climates are the true rust free meccas.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
True, but NC isn't nearly as humid as the deep South. We don't get excessive rust here in NC.

NC is similar to pretty much anything Mid-Atlantic and North as far as humidity goes. People tend to only notice the humidity when heat goes along with it. But if you got a lot of deciduous trees, you got some humidity.

Al

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Humid climates don't guarantee rust free, the inside/out rust tends to happen in the humid climates. Warm dry western climates are the true rust free meccas.
This is true, every climate has it's drawback. Never lived in a dry climate. What kind of damages do you get in those climates? Dry rot?

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
Don't ask me, Illinois has the humidity of coastal Florida only way uglier and much much colder :tongue:

Dry rot does seem to be a factor, in dry climates more so, my car has a few original bushings left on it that are still good, whereas they'r gone on low mile western cars, sun damage is probably the biggest factor

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
This is true, every climate has it's drawback. Never lived in a dry climate. What kind of damages do you get in those climates? Dry rot?
The damage caused by dry climates are very brittle plastic. Pretty much anything plastic, if you have to touch it for some reason, chances are high that it'll break in some fashion when you either pull it out or put it back in.

·
Super Moderator
10,375 Posts
The damage caused by dry climates are very brittle plastic. Pretty much anything plastic, if you have to touch it for some reason, chances are high that it'll break in some fashion when you either pull it out or put it back in.
That's all pretty much due to UV exposure; get your stuff tinted to the legal limit, and make sure you pay extra for the uv resistive film.

Put a dashboard shield up when you park it; yeah, it does look dorky, lol.
But. :)

We are the lucky ones here; our plastic stuff still has Lead in it as an additive; it makes it flexible, and it lasts really well.

If you have a newer car, however...

There is this thing called RoHS that was implemented worldwide in the 00's, that pretty much eliminated lead everywhere but nuclear shielding. :)

Guess why that spray bottle you left outside in the sun for a couple of days is brittle and breaks apart? :)

Those cars likely won't last 20 years, more like 10.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I sold my second one

Didn't want to start a new thread but I am now officially "Birdless". My sister needed a ride so I sold her my 94 for $800. Other than the ugly paint everything worked great. About 150k and body poorly repaired years ago.

That's Rustoleum on the hood.

Goodbye old friend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts