TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of these two mounts? I know that the OEM mounts are liquid filled; if I replace the liquid ones with solid rubber ones, what should I expect as far as noise from the motor? The solid rubber ones are about 1/2 the prices of OEM replacements from Kragens, Napa or even the stealership. What am I gaining or losing by going to the solid rubber mounts? Any input would be great.

thanks

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I did not notice any increase in noise. The motor dose not move as much with the soild ruber mounts. It seems to have less vibration in the car at idle and going down the road I think it is because the engine is not allowed to move as much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright cool, I will order those ASAP. The reason why I need/want to replace them is becuase I get this weird shuddering noise from the drivetrain somewhere, described here. Also, the motor spins about 20degrees when you stand on it, so I figure it would be a good idea anyway.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
blown96bird said:
I did not notice any increase in noise. The motor dose not move as much with the soild ruber mounts. It seems to have less vibration in the car at idle and going down the road I think it is because the engine is not allowed to move as much.

How hard is it to change the mounts with the motor in the car.

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TMcColl said:

How hard is it to change the mounts with the motor in the car.

Thanks

Tony

Not very. You just lift the engine and tranny a bit until pressure is off the mounts. Then the two bolts on the top of the mount need to come out and the one bolt on the bottom. Take the brackets off the old mounts and put them on the new mounts and bolt them back on the motor and chassis. I have not had any experience actally doing it by this method, but I have removed the motor from my tbird twice, so whats there.

Chris

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Are you buying your solid rubber 4.6 mounts from MN12 Performance? Just curious because I thought he was the only person selling them.
-Rob

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
whoinow said:
Not very. You just lift the engine and tranny a bit until pressure is off the mounts. Then the two bolts on the top of the mount need to come out and the one bolt on the bottom. Take the brackets off the old mounts and put them on the new mounts and bolt them back on the motor and chassis. I have not had any experience actally doing it by this method, but I have removed the motor from my tbird twice, so whats there.Chris

Any idea on labor time, as I may have a shop do this for me, I have no means to lift the engine or tranny.

Thanks

dave

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It can be a pain if the liquid filled ones are very bad. Mine were so bad that they had separated inside themselves, so when I went to turn one nut the other wouldn't spin. This made it very hard to get them unbolted, cause I couldn't use the other nut to keep the one I was trying to unbolt from twisting inside the housing.

If the engine had not been out of the car, I don't know how I would have gotten them out except with the good ol' flame wrench (torch).

Otherwise, it's the same ol' story; not much room to work.

hope this helps,
Rob

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Several people sell the solid rubber mounts for our cars. MN12Performance, SupercoupePerformance, NAPA, and several others.

Unless you have an engine crane/hoist, or are planning to take out the motor (like I did), replacing the mounts is going to be a nightmare.

As for the ammount of labor (hours) that it would take, I can't think that it would be more than about 2-3 Hours depending on the stealership/ shop that you take it to. My advise is to just call and ask around.

-Josh

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
for something non -oe most shops will say , ok heres how much it is for the oe, and then add whatever extra time is used to complete the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts