TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a wild idea......see what yalls take on this is...

Okay, we all know the factory rubber bushings in the rear subframe are crap...

Well, I can't really afford DLF bushings back there, so I was thinking of welding the upper cup to the rear subframe(not the car), and the lower cups to the lower part of the subframe mount. On the lowers I would have to add a ring as the cup does not sit flush with the subframe, the rubber bushing keeps it off.

If the Delrin or UVMH(not sure of the letters) are very solid, then why not make it completely solid?
For someones car like mine which sees track use only, I don't see a problem with this.
I did the same exact thing on my tranny crossmember...made the rubber bushings into solid by welding cups to the inner race/sleeve, and the outer structure which holds the bushing in place.

Am I making any sense here?

I can take some pictures for those who may not follow what I'm trying to describe.

·
Banned
287 Posts
I think it's a sh*tty fvcking idea and who ever thought of this should be shot on site, then hung with their own intestines, and then decapitated and finally eaten by a bear and then sh*t out of the bear in Alaska where this person will forever be a frozen peice of sh*t.

Just kidding. :cool:

It was my idea...

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's a sh*tty fvcking idea and who ever thought of this should be shot on site, then hung with their own intestines, and then decapitated and finally eaten by a bear and then sh*t out of the bear in Alaska where this person will forever be a frozen peice of sh*t.

Just kidding. :cool:

It was my idea...
:rofl:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Little different

Hello

I had a little different idea.

I was cutting 3 1/2" steel circles. Was gonna weld them to the top of the
K mounts. Keep the the lower cups.

Never went anywhere with it.:zbounce:

Idea was; Solid mount & lower the body, ever so slightly.

Drilled one, then cooked the bit. they are like 25.00 each.
Looking at DLF's mounts. Want them But alas no cash! lol
:zdunno:

tbirdtess

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Ive read posts from SC owners using metal cups near the subframe isolators to simulate a solid mount IRS - supposively to eliminate "wheel hop" .. which worked according to the people who tried this, but at the expense of more vibrations.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive read posts from SC owners using metal cups near the subframe isolators to simulate a solid mount IRS - supposively to eliminate "wheel hop" .. which worked according to the people who tried this, but at the expense of more vibrations.
i figured there would be more noise and vibrations...but then again, my car will probably be very loud anyway.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here are some pics of the upper portion. There isn't as much metal as I thought under the rubber...

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well..............gonna hold off for now on making these.
If I do it, I want to do it to a Mark 8 subframe.....

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the same subframe, come on!:tongue:
maybe i was thinkg of somethign else, but aren't the lower arms diffrent on how they mount?
I thought the mark 8 arms did not use the "limiter" like on our rear arms use?

Can't think of the names right now for the stuff.....lemme do some diging real quick...

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
The toe compensator is just another set of bushings to locate the rear wheel during acceleration.

DLF bushings or no, I would still run them. Esp for a drag car; you want it a strong there as possible. The more it moves,the more the rear wheels aren't pointed exactly the same direction.

They have large bushings and very little compliance; they might move 3/16".

Unlike the rest of the bushings. :)

If you make it solid, I'd make it stronger than the original stuff; since it won't be bending, it will break at that thickness. :)

I'll bet solid welds weigh less than 40lbs of rubber and steel...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts