TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have about a 100 bucks to blow on my car at the moment. I was thinking of either doing the j-mod or gettin some pullies

With the jmod....do i really need to do the OD servos and stuff?? or can i just do the accumulators and springs and whatever else....

and with the pullies...i beleive they have ASP ones for 120 on summitracing.com...

so in everyones opinion...what do you feel would be the better route.

Im just looking to see a little improvement right now. I just dont know what to expect in times or in how the car feels after one or the other is done. Thanks for any input yall may have.

Ryan

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
well,

you could do both, minus the fluid and cooler, the parts necessary would cost about 40$. You dont have to mess with OD, i didnt and didnt have any problems for almost 3 years before upgrading to a Reinhart trans. I got a set of March Pullies off the Corral for 60$. Or just wait a little longer and put a few more dollars into the fund and get everything at once.

joseph

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
For $100, I'd buy a nice B&M 24k cooler ($50-60) and the parts to do the j-mod (without OD servo/ etc. and since a 97 doesn't need a new pan, maybe $30)... with fluid ($30-40, Mercon V at autozone). The cooler will extend tranny life, the car should get a Mercon V swap for protection if it doesn't have it anyway, and the J-mod is both for fun AND for longer life ... how much better can it get?

I can personally verify that the 24k cooler will reduce temps an average of 30*F - which is a LOT. Stock my car was 205-215 warmed up, since the cooler it hasnt gone over 195 EVER, and averages around 180. On the highways, sometimes it drops to 165. 165-185 is about the ideal range.

Tom

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The trans upgrade (J-mod & cooler) is probably the sensible thing to do. The pullies will give you some more HP, but with the stock trans most of the gain will be lost in the shifting, and the more HP you apply to the trans, the sooner it will crap out on ya....

The upgrade will give you crisper shifting and transfer power more efficiently to the wheels... you won't necessarily gain HP, but you will get better use of the HP you have......

When you do the pullies, I recommend the Steeda set-up. They're not piggy-back and SFI approved.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok wow thanx for the info guys....

I priced out all the parts on the jmod list for my bird. So i dont need the pan (which i knew) and none of the OD servo stuff right??

kool know just gotta get down to Odessa and get with AverageJoe...has said he would help me out with it...time to order some parts...

**edit**

is the B&M tranny cooler your referring to this one...

B&M Transmission Super Coolers
Aluminum
Black
24,000 GVW 11 X 6 X 1.5

summitracing has em for 49.95.....is that what im looking for?? thanx....

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
yup, thats the same cooler I've got.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts