TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm prolly gonna get flamed (to lazy to search :zwall: ) for this but in a few days (once I get paid) I am taking my car down to the exhust shop to have it put up on the rack to see what they can do. Now, I already have a straight pipe in place of a resonator and dual flowmasters. I am looking at spening between $300 and $700 dollars. What can I have done (cats, pipes, etc.) and how much am I looking at spending. HP and sound gains? Sorry for the noob question, thanks for being patient with me. :D

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Well if your going to admit your too lazy to search you just asking to get flamed. You can get a custom 2 1/4 setup with either a mid mount magnaflow or h-pipe with mufflers in the rear for probably like $500 maybe less. You need to give more info on what your looking for in sound ect.. and if you need cats in your area. DO A SEARCH next time :) theres probably 100s of threads on setup and take a look at the soundclips area for ideas.

-Matt-

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Well, to put things in perspective, I have $625 in the exhaust on this car (not counting the headers).

And those are the polished cats and muffler from Magnaflow/Carsound. So I would have to say that $700 would let you do just about anything within reason as far as exhaust goes.

-Rod

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I have almost $1000 in my exhaust not including headers, but it's dual 2.5" stainless everywhere, even the hangars, tips, o2 bungs, etc.

$600 would be quite doable for mild steel.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^Thanks for the advice, good to know It won't cost an arm and a leg. And I negelected to metion I live in Missouri, so that means I need mufflers and cats. Thanks a ton. :)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I have less than $400 in mine, although it is 2.25" compression bent, one muffler, and two tips..

I think total it was about $340

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I've got about $150 in mine. All I had done was cut the resonator, weld a Dynomax bullet muffler in it's place and cut the 2 mufflers off the back and run straight pipe in their place. Sounds great.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've got pretty much the same setup as MattLE97, and what WesWing04 used to have. (do you still have the midmount magnaflow?)

I think it probably cost me around 300-350 by the time it was done. But I got a great deal on parts from Ebay.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much HP are we looking at. Converting a stock exhaust system to flowmaster mufflers, 2.25' piping, magnaflow cats. and what should I have in place of the 3rd cat?

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Make sure to keep in mind that most exhaust shops wont touch catalytic converters.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Slow95xr7 said:
How much HP are we looking at. Converting a stock exhaust system to flowmaster mufflers, 2.25' piping, magnaflow cats. and what should I have in place of the 3rd cat?
Flowmasters ..... :thumbsd:

I'd either run a single DIDO Magnaflow in place of the third cat with no rear mufflers, or run dual Magnaflows or Borlas at the rear of the car, with nothing in place of the third cat.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
warmaster259 said:
Make sure to keep in mind that most exhaust shops wont touch catalytic converters.
My local shop didn't mind pulling the third cat, but refused to touch either of the first two cats.:zdunno:

Guess they figured that as long as they left the other two cats, they weren't breaking any real laws. :D

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
warmaster259 said:
I usually just trailer the car to the exhaust shop with no exhaust on it. Most shops won't remove the cats, but if the cats are already gone (no exhaust), they'll install whatever you want.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Slow95xr7 said:

I think 2.25 is the stock size. I really wouldn't go much bigger than that with a stock engine. If I was really doing a complete exhaust, I'd go with shorties, cut off the cats. Have the 90 degree bedn on the drivers side removed, then install some free flowing cats. ONly 2. Get rid of the 3rd cat and change that into a Y pipe or H pipe. Keep my Dynomax bullet and just pipe frome there to the bumper. I might go up on pipe size I may not. I'm just a little over stock.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rod. I really like your setup, you think it would pass MO emissions?

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Slow95xr7 said:
Rod. I really like your setup, you think it would pass MO emissions?
Thanks, and yes (I live in MO, too).

-Rod

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I stoped by the local exhaust shop and they estimated $800 parts and labor for the magnaflow cat, DI/DO setup for parts and labor :eek: They also said my car had 2" piping.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Slow95xr7 said:
Well, I stoped by the local exhaust shop and they estimated $800 parts and labor for the magnaflow cat, DI/DO setup for parts and labor :eek: They also said my car had 2" piping.
Wow. I would check out a couple other exhaust shops in your area to compare prices. By the way, what area of Missouri are you in?

-Rod

1 - 20 of 23 Posts