1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
More taxes aren't the answer. Making small cars that people want to buy is. My Fiesta is great! I can't say the same about GM's current offering in the Sub Compact or compact market.

If taxes go up, it will kill the car hobby. I already don't drive my MN12 as much as I want to as it is. If it cost me $5.50 or so, I don't think my car will see the light of day too often.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Deleted due: "Political threads :facepalm:" which was correct and justified. My apologies. :xpshame:

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
Political threads :facepalm:

FWIW the GM ceo wants a gas tax increase so their POS small cars sell better, nothing more nothing less.

Edit: Actually their biggest failure, the Volt, it really what they're trying to sell.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Matt did not know that this would head that way. Lock it down or give it a boot

·
Registered
975 Posts
I guess Govt Motors does realize they can't push for higher gas taxes or else everyone will boycott their cars, so they can't "actively pursue" it.

·
Super Moderator
11,909 Posts
Keep it civil and I won't lock it. I'd like to see where this discussion goes.

Personally, I think the suggestion of a $1 a gallon gas hike isn't going to get anywhere. It would be political suicide for anybody to vote in favor of it.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
Do it!
Just not on E85.
:):):):)
Now is the time to slip in a gas tax increase, with the prices starting to fall.
Its been done before.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I would personally have a miata if I want a small car. It actually can run circles around an mn12. ALso Im nt going to like it either but we are going to have 5 buck a gallon gas sometime soon. I hate it but its the way of the world. I guess no more launching for me. Id rather have the 5 buck a gallon gas than a driving tax.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Political threads :facepalm:

FWIW the GM ceo wants a gas tax increase so their POS small cars sell better, nothing more nothing less.
Edit: Actually their biggest failure, the Volt, it really what they're trying to sell.
That's EXACTLY the only point I see in this. GM isnt selling, so they are going to suggest something that's selfish and only will benifit THEM. I guess they seem to forget that the consumer is US the taxpayers who bailed YOUR asses out when you were going into bankrupcy. Raise our taxes so YOU can make a bigger profit on horribly made, little econo sh*tboxes?? I dont think so. It just gives me yet ANOTHER reason to never want to buy a new GM ever. Never have, and at this point with suggestions like this........ never will.

I'm of the opinion that if you made small cars that people would actually WANT to drive, your cars would sell. Go back to the drawing board, and make something better. Hire better designers, and better engineers if that's the case.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm of the opinion that if you made small cars that people would actually WANT to drive, your cars would sell. Go back to the drawing board, and make something better. Hire better designers, and better engineers if that's the case.
Did you miss the point made in that article that the Chevy Cruze is the best selling compact in the US?

·
Registered
591 Posts
That's EXACTLY the only point I see in this. GM isnt selling, so they are going to suggest something that's selfish and only will benifit THEM. I guess they seem to forget that the consumer is US the taxpayers who bailed YOUR asses out when you were going into bankrupcy. Raise our taxes so YOU can make a bigger profit on horribly made, little econo sh*tboxes?? I dont think so. It just gives me yet ANOTHER reason to never want to buy a new GM ever. Never have, and at this point with suggestions like this........ never will.

I'm of the opinion that if you made small cars that people would actually WANT to drive, your cars would sell. Go back to the drawing board, and make something better. Hire better designers, and better engineers if that's the case
if i had the money and they made them over here i would LOVE to have a fiat 500 for a dd.

it seems like all the cool smaller cars are only available in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
Did you miss the point made in that article that the Chevy Cruze is the best selling compact in the US?
Trailed by the Focus by a whopping 437 units last month, I don't think they'd mind cornering that market a little more so they can wear that small crown a little longer.

And lets not forget the Volt is a major money pit, billions to develop, touted the "future" of GM and still barely any sold at $4+ a gallon(in fact they saw a decline last month). I bet they're itching to get break even on that debacle.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
If taxes go up, it will kill the car hobby..
yes it will kill the hobby, but more importantly it will kill the industry. if they go through with that dollar tax its political suicide like someone said. he just wants everyone to buy a new gm car, and that aint gonna happen. i wouldnt buy their junk just on principal because they were behind the tax to begin with.

·
Registered
95 Posts
what if they put the $1 dollar tax only to GM car users to see if they start buying their smaller cars. i wouldn't care.... in my family there are only Fords and toyotas

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I'm sorry, but not everyone wants to drive little econo-boxes. This is what automakers fail to realize sometimes...especially GM!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Me personally I CANT have a econobox....... #1...... I'm tall so fitting in one comfortably is an issue. #2, I have 2 kids and one on the way.... how the hell would I fit them and the government required car seats across the back seat?? No thanks..... I'll drive my "gas guzzler"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts